Here we go!!

-

varmintjcl

Reaction score
I posted a couple shots in the welcome forum when I joined, but it looks like they should be here.
Resto has begun, parts are coming off!!! I was determined to not let this project set forever like you see happen so many times.:cheers:

1971Duster032.jpg

1971Duster014.jpg

You can go to photobucket and resize them. Looks like a nice project. What are your plans for it? Nice garage too. Mike

thank you Valiantmike, that makes the pics much nicer.
I intened to clean the shop before I started the project, but just got anxious to start removing parts.

1971Duster018.jpg

Nice car, nice shop, nice lift, Look's like you got everything to get started.
what is your first move?

A neighbor is going to give me bodywork lesson 101 on the rear corners & straighten them out next week. I have all the steel cut & ready to weld to make my rotisserie and as soon as thats done, & everything else is stripped off I'm takin it to either have it media blasted or dipped depending on where I can find to have it done. Once the body is all straight & ready then I'll have to figure out the next step.
I plan on ordering an alterkation assembly to set the 440 onto. Still haven't decided how much to do to the 440 yet until I get it inside & cleaned up.

Sound's like a good plan.
Keep us updated and glad to see you are hanging around.

Soda blasting is great. Check it out in the phone book. They can do the entire car. Worth the $$$ in the end Because it saves so much time and it comes out smooth. We have one in town where I am and i was qoute about $1000 for the whole car. A little extra to do the undercarriage.

Garage and car look great. Looks like a fun project.

Anyone try having their project Redi-Stripped?

I have a place who will media blast the car for $1000, but said it probably will not remove all the rustproofing underneath.

The local redi-strip shop is not answering their phones this week, musta taken a vacation, so I'm just waitin & waitin to find out how that will compare to blasting.

Barely started & already getting slowed down.

Gettin back on track again...well the difference between media blasting & dip-stripping is $200. So looks like it'll be dipped, now just gotta finish removal of everything. Phew I forgot how much there was to take off.

Getting disassembled for the strip shop & taking lots of photos. Came across this thing under the dash & don't what it is? It looks like some kind of vacuum foot operated button, anyone know what it does?

1971Duster066underdash.jpg

Getting disassembled for the strip shop & taking lots of photos. Came across this thing under the dash & don't what it is? It looks like some kind of vacuum foot operated button, anyone know what it does?

Foot pump for windshield washer fluid.

With some added hose, make's a great water pump for the rear wheels :toothy10: BTW, Nice shop, excellent lift and a fine looking project!

pic4.JPG

Ha what a clever idea, I should have known that as my wife & I had a new 1971 Duster back then, I only vaguely remember that washer pump thou. I do like the idea of the water for the wheels, however I'm not sure I'll need any water after I get the 440 installed.
Thanks for the shop complements. I do enjoy having the shop & as many tools as I can get away with, I just tell the wife I needed the new tool for a job. Like the plasma cutter I had to get this week for a wrought iron fence I made for a job.8)
While I'm at it I wonder if there is any way to figure out what info would have been on the fender tag as someone before me had removed it to do some sanding & I didn't get it with the car?

I keep wondering "what I am I doing? Am I sure I really want this project?" It took me almost 2 hours to remove the drivers door insides. Dumb plastic retainers holding the window wouldn't come out. Can't wait to get this thing stripped & off to the dipper.
At least the previous owner found the fender tag for me. That made me feel a little better for some reason.

Nice project your well on your way. Don't worry about cleaning the garage you will end up doing that many times before you are finished, I speak from experience on this one.

Oh how time flys, here I am 6 years later and now the 13yr old Grandson has claimed the Duster as his first car...Come on Grandpa lets get started!!!
734001_4724270110638_1442303497_n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Bringing back memories of helping my Dad work on his '84 Ramcharger when I was about 14-15...

Man! That is so cool that your grandson has taken an intrest and lit a fire under this project. These times spent with you working together will create memories and skills that will last a lifetime. Although my grandfather was not that into building cars, I spent a lot of time with him in his woodwork shop. The time spent with him is precious to me. Learning about hard work, life, and building cool stuff along the way.

Awesome project. Cant wait to follow the progress.

Looks great, gonna be alot fun times spent with the grandson.

-
Back