Here's an update to Sharktooth grille repair from 11-22-2008

-

Twisted71

Reaction score
Here's an update to my thread on "Sharktooth grille repair" from 11-22-2008
and no, it hasn't taken me all this time to mask it. Ha Ha... Almost 8)
Also, does anyone have a standard 70-72 valiant/duster grille? The plastic doesn't have to be good, I'm only looking for the top and bottom aluminum trim pieces as mine are pitted and dented.

100_1477.jpg

100_1480.jpg

100_1482.jpg

100_1484.jpg

100_1485.jpg

That's allot of masking off to do
I don't have any but I thought this needed a bump to the top 8)
I think a few members here may have what you need for sale.
Looking good Twisted71 =P~

You think that was bad... now I have to mask off the black and paint the silver! Can't wait to see it done, especially against the back drop of the new paint Lemon Twist Yellow!

100_1470.jpg

100_1471.jpg

100_1472.jpg

Here is the final masking step before the final argent silver.

100_1837.jpg

100_1838.jpg

Here's some pictures of a Duster Twister from Mopar at Thunder Mountain this year. This is a fine example of an untouched, stock, unmolested grill.
You can see the distinct the lines are between black, silver and clear.
I know you all think I'm "Twisted", but this is what all the fuss is about!
Actually, after this is done, my family might deem me insane! :love7:

100_1591.jpg

100_1592.jpg

100_1593.jpg

100_1583b.jpg

100_1588b.jpg

Ooo, I almost forgot! You can also see the factory imperfections between silver and black. They must have had some jig that would shield each color from the next as it went down the production line...

I got the turn signals done! What do you think?
Now its on to the main grill section. I thought masking the black would be easier but the complex angles of the support pieces on the top and bottom of each "tooth" make this too difficult. I thought back to my days as a graphic artist and figured why not use some sort of liquid mask? I searched the internet and found several options. Liquid frisket is used by artist for paintings, crafts and such and can be expensive. I found references to some products in the Hobby industry such as Hobbico MasterMask and Bob Dively Liquid Masking Film which are less expensive. So off I went today to my local hobby shop and picked up some of the Dively Liquid Mask for about $17.00!
This should make the rest of the job much easier although each method (auto masking tape or liquid mask) have their pros and cons. I fine chisel brush and a steady hand will be needed to cover the black that I have completed. I tried 2 sections of fins and it seems to work great!
I'll keep you posted... :cheers:

100_1844a.jpg

100_1839b.jpg

100_1840c.jpg

100_1841d.jpg

100_1842e.jpg

100_1845.jpg

I finished painting the silver!
I ended up masking the teeth off to paint the top and bottom flat surfaces.
Then after those were dry, I masked them off and painted the teeth.
The reason for this is I was getting over spray onto adjacent surfaces that partially dried before they landed creating a x-mas ornament effect! Yuck!
Now I am in the process of removing the dried liquid mask that was covering the black portions. I'll post pictures when I get a chance! Whew!

Hey all, I'm still pulling off the liquid mask and it is tedious as well. I probably should have put on 2 coats of it and some sort of mold release under it.
The liquid mask did do it's job though... The black paint underneath looks great. I'm going to soak the whole thing in the bathtub overnight and see if it will pressure wash off the rest of the way. Whew!:-D

Did you, or are you putting any type of a protectant over top of the painted surfaces?
Daryl

I don't think I'll have to. The paint is adhearing nicely and does not chip off in the test areas I've tried on the backside. I hesitate using a clear coat as it might change the appearance of the paint (gloss vs semi gloss, etc). What type would you recommend if I did decide to do that? Thanks

-
Back