Hey BBLM23 Rear suspension

-

Mopower71

Speed Demon
Reaction score
Walt, What are you running for a rear suspension in the dart? I know you have Caltracs but are you running stock leafs or mono's?

Anybody else want to share there rear suspensoin setup and how well it works?

I tried running the stock six leaf springs with an adjustable snubber and a few clamps, it didn't work very well. I added the Caltrac bars and adjustable shocks, it worked nuch better. It would hook on good track prep race days. On Wednesday nights, which is when they run the Pure Street class I race in, I would get two time trials with 1.65 60' times. Then I would spin the tires badly as the night went on. 1.73, 1.85, 2.05 60' times. I got annoyed, played with launch rpms, changed the front springs, and put the 30x13.5 MT ET Streets on. It didn't help. I put the Caltrac Mono leaf springs on and haven't spun the tires since. I made a pass in the rain, (I had my wipers on!) but it didn't spin. 1.62-1.67 60' times and I haven't tried to adjust them. The Caltrac bars, shocks and Mono leaf springs work great for me. Now I can try all the things I have to make it faster. Jetting, Super Sucker, I have 2 convertors laying around, bigger tube headers...

Oh, my springs are moved into the frame rail.

What Shocks are you running?
This year I will probably have to do some mods, if all else works right. I'm adding the 4500 converter which should make all traction go away.

Mopower71 said:
This year I will probably have to do some mods, if all else works right. I'm adding the 4500 converter which should make all traction go away.
When I ordered the Caltracs they came with 5 position Ranchos. I think they come with 12 position now.
A looser convertor could help with traction. If you hit the tires harder it could load the suspension and keep it loaded out of the hole.

I don't think I'll have to move the springs inboard anytime soon. Right now I'm running 325x50x15's on it. So a nice sized slick will fit in there also. It does have the offset brackets on it.

Mopower71 said:
I don't think I'll have to move the springs inboard anytime soon. Right now I'm running 325x50x15's on it. So a nice sized slick will fit in there also. It does have the offset brackets on it.
The Duster, Demon, Dart Sport wheelwells have more room! My 340 Dart Sport used to have 15x10 rims with 3.5 BS and unmodified wheelwells and stock spring location (maybe it was jacked up a little). My Swinger has 15x10 with 7.5 BS and rolled lips on the outer opening, split and moved wheel wells and relocated springs.

What are you doing around 3pm Sunday?

What tires were you running and at what air pressure?
The Dart with the 8 1/2" wide tires liked more air pressure. I was told to start at 18 psi and work down. I did and it never hooked. I put in 22 and it hooked real well. This car is a bit different and I will have to play with it to get everything sorted out.

I have tried from 22 to 10 psi. When it wasn't hooking it didn't matter. When it was hooking I tried from 18 to 14 no difference. I will probably start the season at 16 psi and test from there... Lou V. liked the wrinkle at 14...

Could you tell me more about your caltrac setup. I been on the fence when I do my rear end swap whether to go caltracs or go super stocks. Does everything come in the Caltracs kit that is needed (like shocks, shackles, springs, u-bolts)? What kind of mods need to be done or is it a direct bolt-in? Would it be possible to post some pics of your setup? Who did you buy your setup from?

andycuda2.jpg

I had to get lower shock mounts from the auto parts store. I reused my u-bolts, the front eye bolt and the rear shackle.

MoparDude
That's a picture of my buddy's wrong hand drive Barracuda.

But my car also has the Wilwood rear disk setup.

BBLM23 said:
I had to get lower shock mounts from the auto parts store. I reused my u-bolts, the front eye bolt and the rear shackle.

Walt, I was wondering about those lower shock mounts. They say the spring plates replaced the originals, but there's no place to mount the shocks. So you had to add a mount to them?

Mopower71 said:
BBLM23 said:

Walt, I was wondering about those lower shock mounts. They say the spring plates replaced the originals, but there's no place to mount the shocks. So you had to add a mount to them?
The Caltrac replaces the shock mount but I had to get the special bolt for the lower shock.

BBLM23 said:
Mopower71 said:
When I ordered the Caltracs they came with 5 position Ranchos. I think they come with 12 position now.
A looser convertor could help with traction. If you hit the tires harder it could load the suspension and keep it loaded out of the hole.

Are those the Rancho RS5000's?

-
Back