Hey Guys with Magnum Air Gap

-

Walker434

Reaction score
I am getting ready to install my Magnum 360 in my 71 Dart. For those of you that have experience with the Edelbrock Magnum Air Gap Intake Manifold: Is there a way to run my heater hose to my heater core and run a mechanical temperature gauge?

I was compairing my magnum intake to my LA Weiand Stealth and the Stealth has more of the larger threaded holes for the temp guage and the heater hose. Any advice on what people have done in the past would be great! And pics too! Maybe I'm just overlooking something.

Attachments

• Magnum 360.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 366
I was wondering the same thing when I built my engine. I didnt install one yet, but I think im going to see if I can pull one of the plugs on the block and install the probe there.

I drilled mine out and retapped to larger threads to accomodate the probe. There's plenty of casting there and it doesn't weaken the ligament at all.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will try to find the Tee fitting locally. If not I will buy this one on EBAY.

Use a brass inverted flair fitting, screw it into the intake and then screw your temp. probe into it. They used to be available at the hardware store but now that everything comes from "big box home improvement" stores, I'm not sure they carry them. I would recommend that you take the gauge when you go to the store so the clerk don't have to try and imagine what your doing, usually when you mention automotive stuff at a home improvement store that stops them dead in their tracks. Some auto parts stores will have them if you can find one with a clerk that has actually worked on a car and don't just look in the computer. I personally bought a box of 100 so I wouldn't need to go searching for a real hardware store every time I need one. If you don't have any luck locally PM me and maybe I can get you one.

One thing to mention is that if the sensor in not actually down inside your intake, the temp reading will be off.
As much as 20 degree difference between having it on a T.

Been there.

I hadn't thought of the temp reading off becuase the sending unit is not actually in the intake. What would the other options be... besides drill and tap?

Does anyone make a mechanical gauge that uses a 1/8 NPT sending unit? One of the holes in the intake is a 1/8 NPT.

An inexpensive electrical sender gauge would put this problem to bed. Something like this Autometer would work just fine. It uses a 1/8 npt sensor.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/atm-1436

If you're looking to not spend quite as much there's a Stuart Warner gauge that's available for $20, but the description doesn't say whether or not the sender is 1/8 npt. I'm thinking it is, but didn't want to post a link for it without knowing for sure. If you'd like to look into it, here is the Summit link.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sww-122272

The inverted flair fitting allows the temp probe to be in the coolant so there is no variation in your temp readings.

they are small because the stock magnum sensors are 1/8". pull it from your motor and drill and tap, easy peezy

I read some where that straight from the factory, going by their + and - percentage variance, Stewart Warner Gauges are basically useless if you want an accurate temperature indicator.

" It's Junk, That's a fact Jack. " HA HA !

I found this 3/8 NPT to 1/8 NPT inverted flair. Hemichuck is this what you are talking about? Could I run my mechanical water temp guage with this setup and run the heater hose out of the bigger 3/8 NPT hole?

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-3083-3204861.aspx

I dont think you mechanical sensor will go thru a 1/8 NPT threaded hole, let alone one with an adapter.

I would just drill and tap the intake, that is what I did on my LD340, it is not hard at all.

I have a Hughes air gap on my 408 in my Jeep ZJ. Its basically an Eddy intake cast with Hughes name on it. Anyways, the early ZJ used 2 temp sensors, one for the PCM and one for the gauge, the manifold only had one hole. There was a spot for the extra sensor it just wasn't drilled and tapped. So I drilled and tapped it.

So I would just enlarge the hole you have and re-tap it. Then the sensor is where its supposed to be and coolant is flowing around it.

The mechanical sensor wont fit through there, I went and checked my intake to see what the situation was. The Magnum air gap only has the smaller holes and you would need to drill and tap them.

-
Back