Hey it's a "What about this combo?" thread!!!

-

Jimmy

74 Swinger
Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions because I'm at a crossroads. I have been collecting parts for my turbo build for about a year and of course keep dreaming bigger.
So far I have a Holset HX35W set at 20psi, a Mighty Demon 650 Blow thru, an intercooler from a 135i twin turbo, a 52mm BOV, hedman tight tubes, 3' x-pipe exhaust, oil lines, catch can, boost referenced fuel reg, fuel pump, swapped to manual steering for room, have all the cold side piping, using manual boost controller, just need to have the exhaust connected and flanged then take everything in for ceramic.

But I have another Holset HX35w, so Im thinking of just flanging the headers and running dual. Would this be too much? Im pretty sure I would need to put on new waste gates or actuators at least but do you think it would be hard to spool? I see people put them on 2L's and such but I don't see them twinned very often, also I'm not sure how to combine pressure maps, I know I'm good with one but will I need a bigger carb for two or will it matter if I drop the wastegate psi on both?

This is all on top of a 360, M1 intake, mild cam, 150hp No2. strip primary street secondary

I used to work for Cummins Engine INC...so let me grill you on the "turbos" in question.

Can you post pictures?
I need to see the exhaust housing...looking at the exhaust wheel and a tape measure with Millimeters on it held over the wheel.

Then I need to see the number that is cast into the side of the exhaust housing.

THEN...you need to measure the Compressor Wheel Inducer with the MM side of a tape measure.

Once you post that information, I can make an educated guess at the HX35's flow rate....

They could be too small to use as a single, but perfect for twins...or vice versa....

wont know till you post some pics with relevant information.

:happy1:

OK well here is what I got so far, I was surprised there would be such a difference because they are both for a 5.9 Cummins and only a few years apart but I already figured out that they are separated by about 35hp so I'm thinking I'm screwed.

#1 1996 Cummins 5.9 HX35W 3534921 12cm housing t3 flange 60mm Exhaust outlet 58mm exhaust wheel, 52mm compressor wheel

#2 1999 Cummins 5.9 HX35W 3592767 12cm housing t3 flange 60mm Exhaust outlet (need to measure and take pics)

pics #1

Attachments

• 193.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 296
can I swap the exhaust wheel in the 99 one with one from a 96 to equalize them? I assume the 96 is the prime candidate for a twin build since it is the smallest waste gated HX35 there is.

Are the 35's off of dodge cummins? If so the 96 should have a 56 mm compressor wheel. Also these can be cheaply upgraded to 60mm compressors also. I have done a few. htturbo.com sells lots of parts for them.

My other question if these are off dodges I am not sure how you would go about gettiing the internal gate down to a resonable boost level. They are set at about 22 psi for the dodge.

Yes they are off cummins, I figured I could run external wastegates at the manifolds. Prine has convinced me not to use a T3 exhaust housing, means I'm on the search for twins, I was thinking about HX40's or a single garrett from a 7.3 diesel that I got with the cold side piping I bought off Craigslist but it needs a complete rebuild, may not be worth it.

Sorry if it sounded like I was quoting you Prine, I merely wanted to say that this combo is not going to happen, based largely on your advice that they were too restrictive, so I'm looking at my options, I'm not in the $4000 twin turbo bracket so I am open to creative ideas, after seeing the knock off video from Holset I figured I was better off with a refurbished genuine turbo (Holset or Garret) for $200 core $500 rebuild than any other option under $1000 but I will pay attention cus I hate told you so's and your obviously telling me to do it right. So I have given up on my cores, not worth it, but I can sell em for what I payed so no worries. now I'm back to deciding if I can afford a twin setup or if I should just go single, at least I have till the sun is shinning to figure it out.

I still have no idea how to figure out the power rating in a twin configuration, I mean if a single turbo is big enough for a 360 to make 800hp 2 of the same would be too big correct? So how do I size them? I don't just cut them in half so what is the equation?

CFM. Cubic Feet Per Minute. Total. Have a goal? There will be a CFM necessary for that goal. 1 turbo, 2 turbos,...4 turbos, doesnt matter how many compressors are in the loop...what matters is CFM of airflow.

Like what I keep saying. There is a relative airflow requirement for base power, and power on boost....that airflow requirement goes up for each 100ft/tq you want to add to the equation.

If your base engine makes x (350hp), you need a turbocharger that will add another 650 cfm of airflow at 14 psi and 6500 rpm....to achieve 700 (double) hp.

So you look to size a turbo that will flow 650cfm, or a pair that will each flow 300-400cfm and adjust boost pressure to necessary CFM airflow.

That is why a goal is so critical.....if your goal is ultimately 1000hp+...you dont want short change yourself and have to refab.

Ok, I believe I'm capped by the Demon at 650cfm, the 360 is about 300hp and I have 150hp No2 my original goal was 500-550hp @ 6000 rpm and 12psi before nitrous, of course I keep getting greedy and wanting more power, but truth is bottom end, rear, trans and wallet wont take much more and I really don't think I should start venturing into the 10 point cage category my first time out anyway. I could be way off here, these are the numbers I have been working with anyway.

-
Back