Hi all - New owner of 1973 Dodge Dart Swinger

-

Darticon

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello as I will most likely be in here from time to time to ask the guru masters of MOPAR many, many, questions!

My first Mopar!

Recently bought this 1973 Dart Swinger from a younger guy that was moving out of the area and just needed some extra cash. He and his father, who happens to manage a car parts store, have been working on it for years so not much of the car is original or all the same car really.

Originally a slant 6, it is now running a .030 over 318 with 727 torqueflite. Unfortunately it is still the 7 1/4 rear - 5x4 small bolt pattern all around :sad:

The first thing I'm getting around to is getting rid of the chrome pieces the kid put on - leaking thermostat housing and valve covers that have some pretty bad blow-by...

Attachments

• Dart1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 139
  • Dart2.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 135
Welcome to FABO, I like your ride there. You should have plenty of open road to cruise down over there. I don't have the coveted 8 3/4 in my Duster, just an 8 1/4 but I think it'll do. Keep us posted on your progress!!

That's odd that it has 5x4 bolt pattern, because I have a 73 Swinger with 5x4.5 all around.
Maybe a slant 6 thing? because my car came with a 318 originally.

Welcome to FABO

Here's mine.

Attachments

• dart1a.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 123
That's odd that it has 5x4 bolt pattern, because I have a 73 Swinger with 5x4.5 all around.
Maybe a slant 6 thing? because my car came with a 318 originally.

That was my guess as well. I took it in to our local Les Schwab wheel & tire and got a blank look when I told him it was 5x4. Then got told it would cost $300 per wheel because they would need to be custom made to get the offset needed to fit.

I'm in the works with a, relatively, nearby auto shop that has a set of front spindles and an 8 1/4 rear end I can swap in to give me the 5x4.5 pattern and get me into some front disk brakes.

Before anyone goes off that I should be getting an 8 3/4 I don't plan on doing anything very high horsepower. Just trying to make it into a safe daily driver on a slim budget. Right now it rides like an old pick-up truck... and sounds like one too.

You have a great looking, solid looking, ride there. I really like the color combo. I'm not completely sure about the Hemi orange mine is...

cool ride-- an 8.25 will be strong enough for a street car, if those are aluminum slots you will have no trouble selling them to offset the cost of your big bolt upgrade.

Welcome -- Lawrence

cool ride-- an 8.25 will be strong enough for a street car, if those are aluminum slots you will have no trouble selling them to offset the cost of your big bolt upgrade.

Welcome -- Lawrence

Thanks! They are magnesium and really too bad they don't have the right offset. These tend to rub the tire on the inside fender if I take too tight of a corner. The car was professionally tubbed so could fit 10" tires if I had the right wheels. These are crazy light weight but have no idea what I'd be able to ask for them.

where in Montana?

Cass (Dr. Diff) is up there he is probably some of the best prices anywhere for axles/brakes etc. you should definitely talk to him

doctordiff.com

Cass is the man. total expert on rear axles & brakes for our mopars

he's in polson, mt
people from all over the country deal with him, you are lucky

Cass (Dr. Diff) is up there he is probably some of the best prices anywhere for axles/brakes etc. you should definitely talk to him

doctordiff.com

Cass is the man. total expert on rear axles & brakes for our mopars

he's in polson, mt
people from all over the country deal with him, you are lucky

Oh wow! I'm not even 70 miles away (Missoula).

Thanks very much. I may have to go on a road trip this weekend.

That was my guess as well. I took it in to our local Les Schwab wheel & tire and got a blank look when I told him it was 5x4. Then got told it would cost $300 per wheel because they would need to be custom made to get the offset needed to fit.

I'm in the works with a, relatively, nearby auto shop that has a set of front spindles and an 8 1/4 rear end I can swap in to give me the 5x4.5 pattern and get me into some front disk brakes.

Before anyone goes off that I should be getting an 8 3/4 I don't plan on doing anything very high horsepower. Just trying to make it into a safe daily driver on a slim budget. Right now it rides like an old pick-up truck... and sounds like one too.

You have a great looking, solid looking, ride there. I really like the color combo. I'm not completely sure about the Hemi orange mine is...

Thanks, That is the original paint on the body and the vynl top was removed and the roof painted.
My car came with power disc brakes in the front also (one of the things I wanted when I was looking for one)
8 1/4's are fine for what you want to do with the car, and I don't know if you are interested or not but some Jeep Grand Cherokee 8.8 rear ends are track loc and have disc brakes with the 4.5 pattern, as are a few Fords, like the lincoln.
My chrome wheels came of a Jeep Cherokee (got a good deal on them) and they are real close to what I wanted for it anyway.

Wait till you get the idea to start swapping seats. :D
There's a whole new can of worms/fun, because there are just so dang many cool choices depending on how much work you are will to go through to do it.

These are 11 way adjustable Recaro Sport originally for BMW, and cam release 4 point harnesses on both seats (mostly for kicks until I get a good spot to mount the shoulder belts) but the original lap belts are there also, and what I normally use.

Attachments

• 2aSmall.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 90
Thank you for the welcome! I've started my thread over in the Member Restorations section, as I had some time this weekend to get a few things done.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970560955#post1970560955

Wait till you get the idea to start swapping seats. :D
There's a whole new can of worms/fun, because there are just so dang many cool choices depending on how much work you are will to go through to do it.

These are 11 way adjustable Recaro Sport originally for BMW, and cam release 4 point harnesses on both seats (mostly for kicks until I get a good spot to mount the shoulder belts) but the original lap belts are there also, and what I normally use.

The previous owners got the seats taken care of O:)
I'm not really sure of what brand they are as I can't find a logo anywhere. I put a photo in the restoration thread I started!

-
Back