Hi! From the "desert village"

-

hemicop

Reaction score
I was only told of this site a few days ago and already I'm pretty impressed. While I've posted some things already, I figured it's only right to introduce myself. I'm retired, (guess what at) and lived here for the past 30 yrs. Originally raised in NYC I was around & participated a bit in the streetracing scene of NYC in the late 60s/early 70s, so I'm no "virgin". My current cars are the Hemi Dart I'm trying to get rid of & a BBC Altered that's eating me out of house & home. I prefer the old Gasser & nostalgia stuff, particularly Mopars which around here, there kinda few & far between. My friends & I really aren't "brand blind" so we all have some experience in building almost anything. I'm hoping & looking forward to hearing from other old guys that still remember & miss the good 'ol days when cruising was still fun & didn't damn near require a permit to do it.

Yes sir, I can say I remember the "good ole days" of cruising on Central and after that, Metro Center.

I moved to AZ in '84 because I was sick of getting rained out practically every time I would go to the track in Union Grove, WI. I read about Firebird opening up, and I said "hey that's for me... 12 months of drag racing!"

Well, things didn't go as planned. I blew my motor after 3 months, was just starting out on my own, and didn't have the money to put the car back together. I sold it a couple years later for practically nothing:(

I did at least get to cruise Central in it before they shut 'er down... I could never for the life of me understand why they did that. I thought the crowds were pretty well behaved. The cops really had to go out of their way to find a problem in most of the situations I saw. A flying tackle of a man drinking a beer in public is just a wee bit excessive to me...

After I got rid of the Dart, I bought a Kawasaki 750 Turbo to satisfy the need for speed. I went to McDonalds on Central, ordered my burger and fries, and parked in their lot to eat my food as I would at any McDs. A Phoenix cop playing security guard for McDonalds told me to leave or he would arrest me. I said "I am eating the food I just bought here" He said "If you want to argue big guy, you can go to jail".... For eating McDs at McDs on a licensed, registered vehicle... That was my last night ever on Central:(

Back when I lived in the Chicago area I would cruise Milwaukee Ave down by Superburger. There was always a good showing out there.

I've now hit mid life crisis and needed another Dart to keep me sane:D

I think I know who that cop was--you're right--he's a jerk--always was, probably always will be.

welcome to the place where this old guy is honing in on some good advice
and fellow ship. We have the best of the best here :thumbup:
and they are ready to help or just keep this addiction feed.
Hope you take the time to enjoy.

Yep siting at happy burger enjoying the galls and cars and my first order of tadder totts sitting in my 70 318 barracuda. The good old days.:lol:

Welcome... Im not an Old guy at 33, But I have seen plenty growing up with a Family of A & B body Chrysler's! You might say when it comes to my passion for Mopar that I was born 20 years to late!
A picture of my Dad's Swinger as we were cruising the "L" in Elwood Indiana in 1976.

Jason
1971 Dart

Randy's car.jpg

Welcome... Im not an Old guy at 33, But I have seen plenty growing up with a Family of A & B body Chrysler's! You might say when it comes to my passion for Mopar that I was born 20 years to late!
A picture of my Dad's Swinger as we were cruising the "L" in Elwood Indiana in 1976.

Jason
1971 Dart
THAT"S what we need to see more of---- old cruising pictures. Mine went to my friend's kid yeeeears ago:sad1:. but that doesn't mean others can't post 'em. LET'S SEE 'EM! :happy1:

I used to cruise Central Avenue in downtown Phoenix in the mid/late70's in a 1970 340 Dart Swinger, Silver with black tail stripe, and also in a 1967 396 Super Sport Chevelle. Don't have any pictures........ That was before they cracked down on the cruising. Used to cruise Main Street in Mesa as well..... Ahh the good old days, just thinking about Beeline dragstrip....... and a car full of guys and girls cruising........... Lot of good times and memories.

-
Back