Hi Guitar Jones And Sgbarracuda / Guitar When Are You Racing Again

-

flboatman1

Reaction score
I NEED TO ASK YOU OLD PRO GUY'S SOMTHING. IV'E BEEN GETTING SOME STATIC FROM STREET / DRAG CARS. I GUESS I'M TO OLD TO UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M HEiRING HERE ON THE FORUM, FORM SOME OF THE MEMBERS. 500 HP. AT REAR WHEELS . DRIVING ON STREET TAKING KIDS TO SCHOOL AND SO ON. HOW THE HECK IS THIS DONE?AND THEN THEY TAKE IT OUT TO TRACK ON WEEKEND AND RUN A 7.0 IN 1/8 WITH 391 GEARS . ON SINGLE CARB NO JUICE. SMALL BLOCK . 360 30 OVER. YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN AROUND AS LONG AS ME . DO YOU THINK THIS IS CORRECT. OR HAVE I BEEN GONE FROM DRAG RACING TO LONG. I GET ALL THESE LITTLE ENDUENDOSES THAT I'M FULL OF SH . IV'E NEVER SEEN ONE DRIVE INTO LAKELAND MOTORSPORTS PARK . HAVE YOU SEEN THIS ? SOME OF THEM TALK AS IF I'M NUTS THAT THESE CARS CAN BE DRIVEN ON STREET. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT SUB 10. HI 9SEC. SMALL BLK. CARS. I GUESS I COULD DROP MY DRAG CAR ON STREET AND DRIVE IT FOR A COUPLE OF BLOCKS AND SAY THE SAME THING RIGHT!! AND THEY DO THIS IN THERE 3200 LBS DART ? GARY:cheers:

Gary, with the heads, cams and converters available today I think it's possible. It would have to be a well matched package though with much attention to detail. It doesn't take a lot to run low 7's in the 1/8th. A friend has a Dakota with a crappy converter in it running 7.20's with just a 10:1 360 and a .508 lift hydraulic cam and ported magnum iron heads.

I used to drive my Duster on the street with the 340, W2 heads and a .590 lift cam. It ran 11.70's in total street trim back in the early 90's. I drove it to the track, lowered the tire pressure in the McCreary dirt track tires to 15 psi and ran 11.70's with it all day long. It wasn't a car I would take on long trips but it did make a 150 mile round trip to Old Town once. But I didn't want to do it again. After I took the exhaust off and put a pair of slicks on it it ran 11 teens so the potential is there.

Gary, I was at Reynolds Ga. a few years back and witnessed a Viper run 8.30's on Slicks that his buddy brought to the track in his pickup and when the day was done the guy drove the Viper out of the gate with the A/C on! Times have really changed my friend, we're just a couple of old farts now.

I know this thread wasn't directed at me but "Streetable" means many different things to many people, including the "Local Authorities". I have a pretty high tolerance to big cams but 500 hp to the rear wheels (which as you know means 575-600 hp at the crank) on a .030 over 360 would be a drive to a local car show and back or maybe a 20 mile highway blast and that's it. Bringing the kids to school in a large metropolitan area, stopping for smokes, the post office, and driving to work in stop and go city traffic in 90+ degree or -10 weather, snow, rain, etc. sounds like BS to me.

Keep in mind I'm not including stroker big blocks, nitrous or supercharging. :)

BTW, you need to smash your caps key..It's like being yelled at. :)

Gary, I was at Reynolds Ga. a few years back and witnessed a Viper run 8.30's on Slicks that his buddy brought to the track in his pickup and when the day was done the guy drove the Viper out of the gate with the A/C on! Times have really changed my friend, we're just a couple of old farts now.
I guess that means we are full of gas ha ha WHEN ARE YOU GOING OUT TO LAKELAND NEXT I WOULD LIKE TO GET TOGEATHER . GOT MY CAR RUNNING GOOD BUT IT HAS RAINED THE LAST COUPLE OF SAT. NIGHTS. I HOPE ITS NICE THIS SAT. BILL WILL BE THERE WITH HIS 69 DART, LOOKS AND PAINTED SAME AS MINE WE RUN ALMOUST THE SAME SET UP AND TIMES . :-D

Hey Gary, the Scamp is ready to make some passes but I'm broke right now. Spent a bunch of money getting the glass in the car and getting my competition license, then a bunch more money at the vet on my dog that still has some undiagnosed issue with her facial muscles. So testing will have to wait until I get a little ahead again, which the way work is going may be a long time.

I know this thread wasn't directed at me but "Streetable" means many different things to many people, including the "Local Authorities". I have a pretty high tolerance to big cams but 500 hp to the rear wheels (which as you know means 575-600 hp at the crank) on a .030 over 360 would be a drive to a local car show and back or maybe a 20 mile highway blast and that's it. Bringing the kids to school in a large metropolitan area, stopping for smokes, the post office, and driving to work in stop and go city traffic in 90+ degree or -10 weather, snow, rain, etc. sounds like BS to me.

Keep in mind I'm not including stroker big blocks, nitrous or supercharging. :)

BTW, you need to smash your caps key..It's like being yelled at. :)
WE ARE IN AGREEMENT , SMALL BLOCKS WITH SINGLE CARB NO NITRUS OR TURBO OR SUPER CHARGER. I DON'T HAVE THE FORMULA ANY MORE BUT HOW MUCH HP. DOES IT TAKE TO GET A 32OOTO 3400 LB CAR , AND GEARS AND TIRE SIZE TO RUN A 10.50 OR A 10.10 AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST 9.90 I'LL BET WE CAN DRIVE TO WORK AND PICK UP THE KIDS AND GO TO CHURCH, THEN GO TO DRIVE IN FOR BURGERS RIGHT? OH ON WAY HOME STOP AT THE DRAGSTRIP AND RUN A COUPLE OF 10.5'S BOY RAMCHARGER THOSE GUYS ARE GOING TO LOVE THIS ONE. THANKS GARY

Gary I was going to go this past Sat but it rained all day. If the weather is good I'll go this sat night.

Hey Gary, the Scamp is ready to make some passes but I'm broke right now. Spent a bunch of money getting the glass in the car and getting my competition license, then a bunch more money at the vet on my dog that still has some undiagnosed issue with her facial muscles. So testing will have to wait until I get a little ahead again, which the way work is going may be a long time.
I'M IN SAME BOAT NOW. BOY IS THE U.S. IN TROBLE THANKS TO ARE GOOD GOV. MAYBE WE POOL ARE MONEY TO TAKE THE SCAMP OUT ?

No need, it will get out before too long, I'm not going to race it until next year anyway. I want to finish out the year in the altered I've been driving all year. It has got me into a spot to go to the division finals and I intend to go there but not in an unknown car. The altereds owner said the car is mine to drive for next year too if I want it. He has a couple other guys that have expressed a desire to drive it so I may pass on that, but if I do really good in it I may continue to drive it.

I may come down there this Saturday if the weather is nice enough but not to race, just to meet you guys.

No need, it will get out before too long, I'm not going to race it until next year anyway. I want to finish out the year in the altered I've been driving all year. It has got me into a spot to go to the division finals and I intend to go there but not in an unknown car. The altereds owner said the car is mine to drive for next year too if I want it. He has a couple other guys that have expressed a desire to drive it so I may pass on that, but if I do really good in it I may continue to drive it.

I may come down there this Saturday if the weather is nice enough but not to race, just to meet you guys.
I SURE HOPE YOU CAN MAKE IT . WHERE ARE YOUR FINALS GOING TO BE HELD?

Yep we'll be up there on the 29th of September until we are done. The owner of the altered has a motorhome so we'll be able to just stay at the track. I'll probably drive my truck up just in case something happens on the way we'll have another tow vehicle and someway to get to town if we need to.

I like Clamato personally, but I understand that's a Mexican thing. I didn't know I was Mexican, all this time I thought I was German/Slovak. :)

-
Back