HID conversion

-

ryan1428

Reaction score
Anyone use an HID kit on there a body? Have em on my newer car...love em... do they work on our cars?

You should do a forum search. We have a member, Slantsixdan that is an automotive lighting engineer.

As he says, most of these are junk. Often these products do not meet minimum safety requirements. More often, these cheep products, were are designed by people that don't know the first thing about automotive lighting.

He does recommend a couple HID kits (he is not selling this stuff), the real deal stuff will cost you $900ish.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

You should do a forum search. We have a member, Slantsixdan that is an automotive lighting engineer.

As he says, most of these are junk. Often these products do not meet minimum safety requirements. More often, these cheep products, were are designed by people that don't know the first thing about automotive lighting.

He does recommend a couple HID kits (he is not selling this stuff), the real deal stuff will cost you $900ish.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

I get what your saying as I have read a lot of Dan's stuff and he does know what he's talking about. However, a friend of mine bought his kit from this supplier and it made me skeptical about the accuracy of the light output also. Fortunately we have a friend that has an inspection station with a lighting analyzer. we installed this kit in two of his cars, one being an old ford comet, and the other a 2008 mustang. Both were using the 4500k pure white bulbs. We did a before and after on both vehicles. there was an increase in lighting output of nearly 40% over the old incandescent bulbs in the comet and an increase of 20% over the halogens in the mustang.

That's real data that we collected because I was a nay sayer on these. Mainly because of all the reading I did on Dan's threads. Now i'm not saying Dan is wrong by any means, but this kit does show an improvement over factory lighting.

I get what your saying as I have read a lot of Dan's stuff and he does know what he's talking about. However, a friend of mine bought his kit from this supplier and it made me skeptical about the accuracy of the light output also. Fortunately we have a friend that has an inspection station with a lighting analyzer. we installed this kit in two of his cars, one being an old ford comet, and the other a 2008 mustang. Both were using the 4500k pure white bulbs. We did a before and after on both vehicles. there was an increase in lighting output of nearly 40% over the old incandescent bulbs in the comet and an increase of 20% over the halogens in the mustang.

That's real data that we collected because I was a nay sayer on these. Mainly because of all the reading I did on Dan's threads. Now i'm not saying Dan is wrong by any means, but this kit does show an improvement over factory lighting.

What Dan will tell you is..... It's not how much light is coming out but where the light is going and how it's focused.

68formula,

That's a cool website. Did not know they made a stock looking headlight housings. The only ones I knew of were the ones on Ebay and look really modern. Forgot about the Hi and Low light aspect of the HID kit. The HID I have on my Santa fe is a single element bulb. I had a unit on my older ford forcus and it had an HID element with a smaller bulb on the side for high beams.

-
Back