Hidden radio?

-
Maybe it's too ambitious, but since I'm 3D printing my entire dash as new panels, and since I'm replacing the factory heater controls with an aftermarket heater/ac control panel, I'm considering a modern radio recessed in the dash and a motorized panel to flip up and slide into the dash when I key on. I'm looking at the Alpine ILX-007, a 7" touchscreen that uses Apple Carplay, and has no CD mechanism so it's only 3" deep.

But then again I've also got to figure out where to mount the Holley sniper LCD controller, and the digital transmission controller, so who knows what I'll do.

I used a marine unit with a wired remote. you can put the unit any where and the small wired remote is very hideable when not in use.

Maybe it's too ambitious, but since I'm 3D printing my entire dash as new panels, and since I'm replacing the factory heater controls with an aftermarket heater/ac control panel, I'm considering a modern radio recessed in the dash and a motorized panel to flip up and slide into the dash when I key on. I'm looking at the Alpine ILX-007, a 7" touchscreen that uses Apple Carplay, and has no CD mechanism so it's only 3" deep.

But then again I've also got to figure out where to mount the Holley sniper LCD controller, and the digital transmission controller, so who knows what I'll do.

That's the one!! Who does CD's now anyway??

That's the one!! Who does CD's now anyway??

Right? There's a few head units out there for that don't use CDs, I've seen them called Mech-less. The Alpine is the only one I can find that isn't the same depth as one that does use CDs. Anyway if you like that one, consider that Alpine just announced the ILX-107 which is the same but can do wireless Carplay to your apple device.

I wish I could take it a step further, however. Not only do I not want built in CD function, but I also don't want a built in Amplifier. I'll be using a Digital Designs amp and it's a pointless feature to have to pay for, not to mention adding weight, heat, and more space taken up. I'd love to have a touchscreen panel that gives me AM/FM, Bluetooth, amp preouts, Navigation, and a mix of advanced controls like an EQ. I've considered a carputer, but it just seems like to much fiddling to get it all to work.

we have a radio under the seat of jamies dart.. a cord runs up to my phone and i play pandora while driving... one of these days i'll buy a radio for it that has bluetooth.
Exactly what I did on my 67.

Well after long thought . I've decided to send my old radio in and have it upgraded to AM/FM with MP3 and Ipod capabilities .A little spendy yes but I have the radio ,it doesn't work I would like it functional and cosmetically its in very good shape Plus I don't have to hack up my glove box or try to hide it and have the storage of CD's

Well after long thought . I've decided to send my old radio in and have it upgraded to AM/FM with MP3 and Ipod capabilities .A little spendy yes but I have the radio ,it doesn't work I would like it functional and cosmetically its in very good shape Plus I don't have to hack up my glove box or try to hide it and have the storage of CD's
where did you send it? I had mine converted many years ago by a guy in Texas but can't find him now. Mine drifts off station and can't fine tune it with the screw behind tuning knob. Would like for it to work like it is supposed to with out having to adjust tuning knob all the time.

where did you send it? I had mine converted many years ago by a guy in Texas but can't find him now. Mine drifts off station and can't fine tune it with the screw behind tuning knob. Would like for it to work like it is supposed to with out having to adjust tuning knob all the time.
I have three I'm looking at. Joe's, Ward's and Tayman electric. Have been in contact with them and lots of questions. Too much money for slop work.

I have thought of Ward's to see if there is anything they thought they could adjust without the big $$$. I could hand carry it to them since they are in upper end of state.

I'm leaning towards Tayman . Just a little more $ then the rest . I like what combos they offer.

Last edited:
We have a radio guy on board here. I can't remember his username, but will do a search & post if I can find it.

We have a radio guy on board here. I can't remember his username, but will do a search & post if I can find it.

I can't remember his user name on FABO either, but his real name is Rick and his website is Home. A picture of his white Barracuda is on the home page of his website.

I never had a radio done by him, but I knew him when I lived in Virginia Beach and he's stand up guy for sure!

I can't remember his user name on FABO either, but his real name is Rick and his website is Home. A picture of his white Barracuda is on the home page of his website.

I never had a radio done by him, but I knew him when I lived in Virginia Beach and he's stand up guy for sure!

Thanks for the kind words!! I didn't know you left the area, hope all is well in GA. As for the other guys on here yes I do radio conversions. As mentioned above, Gary Tayman and I use the Aurora Products. I think Wards uses AAR Products. Please send me a message if interested.

I was like you guys, I had a radio in the glove box, under the seat, I got the secret audio and stuck it under the seat, got tired of all the non-sense..... with my electrical background I had enough, I am retiring from the Navy soon so I figured I would just become a dealer of the Aurora Products, the rest is history..... Hope I can help some of you guys out.
Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
I have three I'm looking at. Joe's, Ward's and Tayman electric. Have been in contact with them and lots of questions. Too much money for slop work.
I know gary tayman personally and he is a great guy. he does fantastic work on all kinds of radios. I would not hesitate to use gary for your radio needs.

-
Back