High Amp Alternator

-

wazoo64

Reaction score
I am running 100amp alt that bench tested 90 amps at 3000rpm. It tested 50amps at idle. It's just not enough at idle and I want to go to higher amp alternator to handle my electric fans, stereo, etc.

Is anyone running a high amp alternator? I need to see the bracketry for a Ford or GM style alternator. Any input would be appreciated.

By the way, I would prefer to stay Mopar but 100amps is the biggest I could find.

Try a smaller pulley to increase alternator RPM. Most of the higher output alternators will only achieve that output at a higher (like 3000) rpm. A dual alternator setup might be easier.

Your stereo draws 50 amps? That's like 6000 watts!

Try a smaller pulley to increase alternator RPM. Most of the higher output alternators will only achieve that output at a higher (like 3000) rpm. A dual alternator setup might be easier.

Your stereo draws 50 amps? That's like 6000 watts!

I am running the march pulley...smallest I could find. Fans are 44amps, stereo 10amps, without any accecories I am at the limit during idle even without the stereo turned on. When I turn the fans off the engine will idle much better. The draw is just too big for this application. I need these high output fans...only thing that has kept it cool for me.

just a thought. you could add anouther battery in the trunk. use diods to seperate them keep one fore the moter circiut and the outher for accesories.

I actually bought the 160amp from them but it is not a mopar style and it does not work with my march bracketry. I am looking for some pics of this setup. Do you have any? Did you use a stock type bracket?
The one that I bought from quality power is a ford style. They said it would work with a stock bracket setup. Thanks

Actually if you're pulling 50 amps, since Wattage = Voltage x Current you have 50w x 14v = 700 watts not 6000! That's still lots of watts, I hope you are running really thick wires and have a backup battery.

I have the March brackets as well, I called them up and said "you guys should make a bracket to adapt to a Denso style alternator", their response, "we have no plans to do that". Sucks. How hard could it be to CNC a new part up. I know they could sell hundreds of them, I'd pay dearly for one.

I purchase a stock bracket from Summit and it looks like it may mount up the Ford alternator. I am going to run a 4 gauge wire to support the 160amps. If this works I will have a Chrome Powermaster 100 amp alt with March pulley for sale. $75

-
Back