High pitch noise in steering column

-

Paul Volpe

Reaction score
I have a 70 duster 340 that has a high pitch noise coming from the steering column only when turned to the right. It's an auto column shift , when turned to the right the shirt lever moves slightly. I removed the steering wheel and lubed what I could someone told me it was the horn contacts but that's not it. Could it be the bearing at the top ? Any advice would be appreciated Thanks Paul

Doubt it’s the upper bearing. A high pitched squeak (if that’s what it is) suggests dry metal to metal contact. There’s a shifter tube that runs down the inside of the column. Inside of that is the steering shaft. The shifter tube is supposed to have a lower bearing or nylon bushing that acts as a simple bearing down at the bottom in the engine compartment. If that is missing it’s possible the shift tube has drooped down and is rubbing on the steering shaft. That could not only result in a squeak or metallic rub sound but create enough drag to move the shifter a little while making turns. Just a shot in the dark...

Doubt it’s the upper bearing. A high pitched squeak (if that’s what it is) suggests dry metal to metal contact. There’s a shifter tube that runs down the inside of the column. Inside of that is the steering shaft. The shifter tube is supposed to have a lower bearing or nylon bushing that acts as a simple bearing down at the bottom in the engine compartment. If that is missing it’s possible the shift tube has drooped down and is rubbing on the steering shaft. That could not only result in a squeak or metallic rub sound but create enough drag to move the shifter a little while making turns. Just a shot in the dark...

Thank you I was hoping for and easy fix , I'll check out the lower bearing and bushing

Good luck. You should find something like this white bushing at the bottom between the outer jacket and inner shift tube...

snapringimg_01.jpg

-
Back