Higher Output Alternator

-

67hippie

Reaction score
Would a higher output alternator and matching voltage regulator be recommended for a '60-'62 Lancer which will run QI headlamps, electric fan and a/c?

I was told by the local well trusted starter/alternator rebuilder and auto electric guru that 60 amps is plenty and where people get into problems is with electric fans not being wired correctly. My Chevy PU is supposed to be a 75 ish amp alternator with AC and 63 amp without so today I bought a 63 amp alternator for my street car which has no AC so it should be fine. He said the 60 amp ones should be able to handle big stereos and electric radiator fans if everything is wired correctly.

The voltage reg. should be the same. You don't want to go over 14-16 volts. The alterator may need to be up graded. We had to put a 160 amp alt. in a car with two fans, MSD, electric fuel pump, radio, lights .... etc. You have to do the math and look how much you'r using. Max on a mopar alter. 90-100 thats 40 to 45 at idle. If you use 60 your draining your battery at idle.

Just throwing this out there for thought...

Isn't there a big risk of electrical fires in our old Mopars when a larger alternator is installed??

Seems to me that over the years I have read of more than a few dash fires after electrical components where "up graded".

I installed a 6 or 8 gauge wire from the alternator output to the starter positive. Current takes the path of least resistance. I've left the stock wiring intact to protect all of the stock electrical components. Fans, fuel pumps...etc have their own power source from the starter positive. Works great now for 4 seasons. Stock alternator gauge shows a dischage but that is only because most of the output is running through the larger wire. Seperate volt gauge shows everything is OK. This is with a stock square back 60 amp alternator. At idle, with everything on there is a little dischage but have never had an issue. The battery's condition was unknown and completely dead when I got it. It is a 12 month battery and has a service date of 11/04. Not bad but prolly on borrowed time.

ALL these are valid points and should be taken into consideration By the way the OEM was a 30A Alternator in 66 down A bodies.
Frank

-
Back