Higher stall torque converter with large bolt pattern?

-

TTC

Reaction score
Hi!

I have a cast crank 440 that has been balanced with large bolt pattern flex plate. Weights have been welded to flexplate. Problem is that all the aftermarket higher stall converters seems to have 10 inch bolt pattern. Do you know , are there higher stall converters for sale for large bolt pattern flexplate? Maybe 2500rpm stall

One solution would be to drill new holes for the 10inch bolt pattern TC , that I have on stock...;)

Engine is gonna be mild 440 with 10.0cr, ported 906 heads, purple cam 284/284 with 0.484 lift

So since the weights are on the flex plate. I'm thinking you need a neutral balanced convertor? Should of had the external weight welded to the rear crank flange. In the future if you need a flex plate you'll have to have another one matched to this one. Just my 2 Cents.

In answer to your question, higher stall converters with the larger bolt pattern are indeed available. It will in all likelihood though have to be custom built. It's not one you're likely to get through Jeg's and the like.
Contact one of the high stall builders and give them all the information about your setup and go from there. Any good converter builder can/will build you anything you require for your application.
I've personally seen 10" high stalls with the large (12") bolt pattern.
Drilling extra holes in your flywheel IMHO weakens the flywheel, and the holes drilled need to exactly centered. With a properly weighted converter, there should be no reason not to use the same flex plate the factory used.
Others may disagree.

I forgot to give you this bit of information. From the factory, the 440 engine with a cast crank used a 12" diameter converter. It has 2 balancing weights welded to the backside(engine side) of the converter. Each weight measures: 1.20" x .75" x .158".

Last edited:
-
Back