Highlighting script on LD340 intake

-

Pentarockstar

Reaction score
I am going to be installing a LD340 on my 69 340. I am going to paint the intake turquoise and would like to highlight the writing on the manifold in black. My hand is not steady enough to hand paint the edelbrock, LD 340 and the part number. Any ideas on how to get this done?

Thanks!

I am going to be installing a LD340 on my 69 340. I am going to paint the intake turquoise and would like to highlight the writing on the manifold in black. My hand is not steady enough to hand paint the edelbrock, LD 340 and the part number. Any ideas on how to get this done?

Thanks!
Send it to Leanna @CudaChick1968 at Phoenix Specialty coatings. She will turn that thing into a work of art.

WOW! She does do exceptional work! Doubt I could afford it, plus I like to do it myself. Much more satisfying.

Wonder if i could spray paint the lettering black, smear some grease on top of the letters. Paint the whole intake turquoise and then whip off grease to expose black letters?

Paint pen.
upload_2022-8-18_16-45-9.jpeg

Much easier than a brush.
At hobby and hardware stores near you.

Leanna to powdercoat is the best way. Great charitable gal and great work.
Grease will mess up the painted letters if it doesnt cure long enuf. Get a paint marker.

If you want a color on the letters, then get a small paint roller with the shortest nap you can find. Paint intake, then roll the contrasting color on the letters.

After you paint the intake turquoise take a strip of masking tape dry side and coat it with black paint with a heavy wet coat then take the strip of tape and lay it on the top of the raised letters and it will coat everyone of them perfectly remove instantly

I second the paint pen idea. I used a contrasting color (engine color) to the Aluminum. Cheap thrill that's under $5.

I took my time on 2-3 applications

Screenshot_20220818-192310.png

Going to have to save up for those bad *** Mopar performance Valve cover that Cudachick details.

I live in Missouri, so we have the market cornered on tweakers or as i like to call them Night Crawlers. It is a good idea to find someone else to handle the detail work.

No matter what problem I run across, even this kind of thing, I can count on you guys to help out.

Thanks everyone for the ideas, encouragement and fun!!

WOW! She does do exceptional work! Doubt I could afford it, plus I like to do it myself. Much more satisfying.

Wonder if i could spray paint the lettering black, smear some grease on top of the letters. Paint the whole intake turquoise and then whip off grease to expose black letters?
Vaseline....

Wow, thank you for the mentions!!!

Cast aluminum lettering can be very "sharp" but most logos need at least some metal clean up first. Without it, lettering will look fuzzy and unprofessional with likely color bleed.

Sanding off that layer of paint to reveal the bare aluminum works ... but it also leaves it open to the elements and is not the color you want anyway. That brand new shiny aluminum will fade and get grungy, and the sharp edges will be a prime opportunity for "creep" (oxidation begins where it's bare, and creeps all over the part under the rest of the paint ... until it comes off in chunks or sheets someday).

I don't have a bunch of turquoise intake pics but here's a few, including some other multicolor logos for illustration. At least you can get an idea of the subdued effect using silver as an accent on turquoise.

Screenshot_20220819-095825_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20220819-100604_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20220819-100710_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20220819-100243_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20220819-100635_Facebook.jpg

Cuda Chick: You do top notch work. Awesome eye for detail.

Thank you for the tips. Yes, I can understand what you are saying about prep work, the smoother the better. Cast AL is so porous the paint can bleed through into unwanted areas through the pours. Also, leaving the AL bare will lead to corrosion and it will work its way under painted surfaces. Does that sound about right?

-
Back