Hillclimb setups

-

JGC403

Reaction score
Is anyone into hillclimbs on here? I am moving back to PA soon and found out that there are 3 courses that aren't to far away. So I have been considering building my Barracuda for this. Anyone have any tips? Is there going to be a special setup for hillclimbs? Already planning on lowering the car 2", the entire front suspension is getting re-done, but I really want to keep the torsion bars. Not sure what I am doing with the rear suspension yet.

Interesting. I'm kind of surprised no one on here is into hillclimbs. Will guess I need to do some research and experimenting.

Where are you moving to in PA? I know there are a few hill climbs around but only know one by name and thats Giants Despair in Wilkes-Barre Twp...there used to be one near Hazleton on the St Johns Mountain road but I don't think that one is any longer.
It looks like fun to run, I've done Gaints Despair in my 70 AMX, a 67 GTX 440, 65 Mustang, 67 Dart GT, 68 Barracuda, 67 Firebird, 66 GTO, 62 Impala SS, and probably a few more, unofficially though...lol
I grew up very close to there and used to travel that road quite a bit.

Where are you moving to in PA? I know there are a few hill climbs around but only know one by name and thats Giants Despair in Wilkes-Barre Twp...there used to be one near Hazleton on the St Johns Mountain road but I don't think that one is any longer.
It looks like fun to run, I've done Gaints Despair in my 70 AMX, a 67 GTX 440, 65 Mustang, 67 Dart GT, 68 Barracuda, 67 Firebird, 66 GTO, 62 Impala SS, and probably a few more, unofficially though...lol
I grew up very close to there and used to travel that road quite a bit.

I'll be near Reading. So the Pagoda and Duryea hillclimbs are the closest. Laurel Run is about 2 hours away and Weatherly is about an 1 and a half away.
http://www.pahillclimb.org/Courses.htm

What car handled the best out of all of those you have hill-climbed? Did you do anything special to the '68 Barracuda?

I've never seen those classic PA hillclimbs, but I did a brisk run up the rough road at Mt. Equinox, VT in my Duster with MOPAR HD springing all around, with KYB gas shocks. This seems to be a good starting point. If you're going for FTD,it will take more than that, but that's where the fun is.

-
Back