History

-

matthon

Reaction score
I have not had any luck locating information on my car's history; original owner, dealer it sold from, etc. I want to send in the $45 to Chrysler for the build record as it is a 67, but I have no idea what that will contain.
The on-line VIN histories, free or pay, are either useless or contain nothing more than my name as the most recent registered owner.

Anyone else able to locate information from day 1?

I did the $45 thing to Chrysler Historical for 2 of my 65s - Dart GT convert and Barracuda. For my money I got a copy of the IBM punch card showing how it was built and a letter from them breaking down the serial number, the first selling dealer, shipping date to that dealer, original exterior and interior colors and the major options it was equipped with: engine, tires, transmission, glass, radio and axle ratio. Was it worth it? For me yes as it confirmed a few things I thought were correct on both cars. One thing was kind of interesting - they provided a complete breakdown of the major options on the Barracuda but didn't do it on the Dart - even though some were identical. Still considering if I ought do the same thing on my other 2 65s (Valiant & Dart wagon) Chrysler Historical can not provide the first owner's info but you might be able to get it from the selling dealer, which IS provided by them. If you know where it was first sold, that state's DMV might be able to help (for a fee of course). Hope all this helps.

Hope all this helps.[/quote]

Greatly, THANK YOU!

I am lucky. My car was originally bought 10 minutes from where I grew up and still live and has spent it's entire existance right here. It was apparently the baddest street legal car in town throughout the early 70s (10.90s at just under 130MPH) and a lot of people have told me things about it through the years. I was able to track down the names of every owner through people who remembered the car, I was able to get all of the original paperwork from the MVA, and after 26½ years of searching I recently found the original owner out in Colorado and he has completely filled me in on what was done to the car, how successful it was racing on the street and track, and he is sending me a bunch of pictures and 8mm movies of him racing it and working on it from '69 through '73. I guess that qualifies me as blessed more than just lucky. He E-Mailed me some of the pics he is sending. Here is one of it right after he bought it and one from when it was running high 10s on the street:

John2small.jpg

John5small.jpg

I am lucky. My car was originally bought 10 minutes from where I grew up and still live and has spent it's entire existance right here. /QUOTE]

Lucky AND blessed is right! My Dart convert was sold originally in Albany NY at Albany Dodge (still in existance) and had migrated down to NoVA by 1984 when I bought it. Barracuda was originally sold in Weatherford TX at Lindsay Motor Company (long gone) and came to me by way of IL.

-
Back