Hitch?

-

jedrattle

Reaction score
I know this crazy but I want a hitch on my `68 dart. My car is a convert and I want to load the bicycles and cruise down to the beach. I have seen the old school bent flat bar hitches but that isn't going to cut it. I can't have one of those strap onto the trunk lid bike holder setups either. I want to use the bike holder that plugs into a square hitch. Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

I would find one that is the same width as your rear frame rails. Then attach it there.
The Duster I brought home has the flat bar style and I also didnt like how it mounts. (bumper and trunk floor)

If you know you aren't going to tow anything significant, then get someone to actually custom build a hitch for you. I bet one of those speciality trucker stores, or just someone with serious welding skills can make a simple item that bolts btw your frame rails and doesn't require any sort of holes being drilled in the truck or bumper. Maybe they can find a simple support somehow from where the bumper bolts mount to the body.

I remember in the 80's, many of the low rider trucks used to have their receiver hitches hid behind the license plate and put a spring loaded license plate holder on the car so all you had to do was swing down (or up) the plate and plug in the receiver. Maybe someone can create you something like that that wouldn't be visible when not in use.

I had the need to tow a Duster home from about 3.5hours away, so I went to a local hitch manufacturer company and they custom made a Class II for about $200 all in.

Grant

Do a search for trailer hitch and you should come up with several threads. One of two of them have diagrams to make your own, in one case a member found a junkyard hitch from a Jeep that was a bolt in.
C

If you know you aren't going to tow anything significant, then get someone to actually custom build a hitch for you. QUOTE]

That's the way I would go. Hitches are brutally simple -just a big "T" with the top connected (via plates) to the frame-rails and the bottom of the "T" poking out from under your bumper. As long as you don't do any towing with it, it would be a simple matter to fab-up something yourself. Just use square tube that fits a standard hitch. Another plus is that if your welding isn't pretty, you can use reinforcing plates and no one will see it. Bomb it satin black and it will disapear untill you need it.

If you know you aren't going to tow anything significant, then get someone to actually custom build a hitch for you. I bet one of those speciality trucker stores, or just someone with serious welding skills can make a simple item that bolts btw your frame rails and doesn't require any sort of holes being drilled in the truck or bumper. Maybe they can find a simple support somehow from where the bumper bolts mount to the body.

I remember in the 80's, many of the low rider trucks used to have their receiver hitches hid behind the license plate and put a spring loaded license plate holder on the car so all you had to do was swing down (or up) the plate and plug in the receiver. Maybe someone can create you something like that that wouldn't be visible when not in use.

Thanks guys!
I don't plan to tow with it. I got a 1ton cummins for real towing!!8) Really just mainly to plug a bike carrier into. Hidden behind the plate is what I was thinking. I just wanted to see if anyone had done anything like this. I will find a way! :D

Have an owners manual? If so check it for a diagram on how to make a hitch. I made a hitch for my 67 using that diagram and tow a 1,000lb teardrop camper with it. I did make a minor change so I could use an existing hole in the frame rail and made it into a reciever hitch. There is a thread with the diagram in the tech archives.

Have an owners manual? If so check it for a diagram on how to make a hitch. I made a hitch for my 67 using that diagram and tow a 1,000lb teardrop camper with it. I did make a minor change so I could use an existing hole in the frame rail and made it into a reciever hitch. There is a thread with the diagram in the tech archives.

I believe I have an owners manual..but not 100% sure. It's funny you say tear drop trailer. My dad and I are building one for him. I want a small old school travel trailer. Something like 10ft long. Just enough that my wife, my child, and I can sleep in. I would like to see a picture of your setup.

Here is a pic of my hitch, think I have more just go to find them.
DSC00114-1-1.jpg

Here is a pic of my teardrop, working on another one.
DSC00079.jpg

Have you been to teardrops and tiny travel trailers forum? If not you should, it has a lot of good info and a great bunch of people, alot like this forum here.

I have a bike rack that clamps onto the rear bumper. A few years ago I bought a really low mile '77 Fury Sport and it came with a vintage bike and the rack. Looks like the rack will clamp onto almost any rear bumper. If I can find it I'll post a pic.
Dallas

-
Back