Hole for shifter cable

-

grassy

Reaction score
I am installing a B&M shifter in the car (attached to an a 727) on top of a console.

Where do you drill the hole fo it to go through...it is a cable so it needs room to do an 180...so firewall maybe..but where ?

Thanks
ian.

Generally you want the cable to go through where it likes being, as in not crimped or kinked.
Mine goes through the floor right in front of the mechanism mount, goes toward the engine and loops back to the trans. (probably a 18 inch circle)

Of course you need to keep it away from hot stuff as much as possible.

B & M Quicksilver shifter mounted in my console.

Attachments

• IMG_2075.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 154
  • console 1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 153
  • console 2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 175
Thanks...I like that reasoning.

My cable is 5 foot and installed on a console..not mounted on the floor..however, I do like that.

So the cable can actually a bend that radical as in picture 3 ?

I think I may have changed to a 4 foot cable, but mine loops up the center of the bellhousing and comes back down behind the drivers cylinder head. This is my third attempt and I finally got it properly secured and insulated to avoid damage from the headers.

Attachments

• IMG_2077.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_2080.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_2083.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 126
yeah...I almost have too much happening down there..the shift cable, the kick down cable, the sender for my speedo and the normal electronics that hooks to the transmission. They we have the headers...This is one of my reoccurring nightmares.

Thank you. Tonight we pull out the seats in anticipation of laying the carpets so we shall see what we can do..

Thanks

Mine goes through a grommeted hole in the tunnel, veers to the passenger side, and loops across the front of the inspection cover for a straight shot in. A thermal sleeve protects the cable.

downpipes7img.jpg

Depending on what shifter you have it can go a few different ways.
Some say over the trans and back under it, some say drivers side loop.

Mine goes through the floor and arches up under the headers flange on the head and circles back down to the trans for a nice straight shot to the linkage.
It's pretty easy but don't bother doing it till you can relax and take your time.

I'd bet I snaked that cable in, out, up, down and around 6-8 times before I was happy with it. (All while being really carefull not to kink it)

-
Back