hole in heads???

-

kh00054

Reaction score
72 Dodge Dart, rebuilt 318
Weiand 8007 action plus intake manifold, edelbrock 500 cfm carburetor

If you look at the picture, there looks like there's a hole in the head on both sides of the engine. Not sure if the wrong part was used in rebuilding the engine. It doesn't spray oil out, so I don't know. Any thoughts?

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

My Dad said I had one of those, lol.

But seriously, that's not a problem, that's the way they were cast. The idea was to keep hot exhaust gases away from the head so it didn't build up coke and sludge.

If you're talking about that upside down U shaped area that's missing in the middle of "both" heads then that's normal. That's done when the heads are cast and the port you can see is actually the exhaust crossover port that goes under the intake manifold and keeps the floor of the manifold hot and therefore keeps fuel in vapor form. It usually works in conjunction with the old heat riser valve that was installed on one of the exhaust manifold, that's if yours is still there. Most aftermarket intakes block off that port.

Thanks for the input, I don't know if it does have a heat riser valve. I'll have to look that up.

All LA heads are like that. Not a problem except it's a good place for little screws to drop into and never be seen again. Ask me how I know...

All LA heads are like that. Not a problem except it's a good place for little screws to drop into and never be seen again. Ask me how I know...

Yep, I can't count the number of times I've lost an accelerator pump cam screw down the one on the driver's side... A little hint, if you're changing an accel pump cam, put a rag or paper towel under the cam you're changing. I still drop the screws every once in awhile, but this way I know where they're at.

Yep, I can't count the number of times I've lost an accelerator pump cam screw down the one on the driver's side... A little hint, if you're changing an accel pump cam, put a rag or paper towel under the cam you're changing. I still drop the screws every once in awhile, but this way I know where they're at.

Yep I use a rag to cover it up now too. Got tired of looking for screws every time I dropped one.

-
Back