Holley 1920 accelerator pump issues

-

jwicker

Reaction score
Hey all!!

This post is informational as I think it may help others in the future.

I recently had an issue where my 64 dart 225 would bog really hard, have okay-ish idle, but rev all the way up after the initial bog. I tried all of the following to resolve to no avail -
  • Rebuild carb, spray with cleaners and air
  • Test timing
  • Test coil
  • Test spark plug wires
  • Replace plugs
  • Check vacuum advance on distributor
  • Verify vacuum connections on carb
  • Adjust accelerator pump position (3 position plastic lever)
  • Check fuel pressure from pump
  • Change fuel filters
  • Check for vacuum leaks with spray
  • Adjust carb 6 ways to sunday
What ended up fixing it???

Some old fart with better eyes than me took off the metering block behind the float and noticed it was warped like a parenthesis. (photo 1) You could see light under it when on the bench. When wet testing, fuel was coming out of the top and bottom around the gasket because of the warping. (photo 2) He filed it flat and checked with a micrometer, reinstalled, and boom. Problem was 100% gone.

I still have things to fix on my car but I wanted to provide this insight for others. I think it's possible it was a holley defect, or the result of heat cycles. No cracks were present.

Best of luck guys!!!

IMG_20230715_114856.jpg

Screenshot_2023-07-15-11-50-21-38_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg

1920' s were garbage from the factory. Get a Carter , bolt it on and forget about it

I second that. Holley 1920 carbs have all the typical Holley problems with the metering block, the diaphragm-type accelerator pump that has a convenient leak hole to dump fuel on the manifold when it ruptures, a bowl gasket under fuel, a side-hung nitrophyl float...it's just a problem looking for a place to happen.

Carter BBS 1-barrels were available all the way through 1971 or so, but usually on a 170 or 198 Slant. There were some on 225 engines around the year of your car so if someone decides to go that route, they should be able to find a good core carburetor pretty easily. They are similar to a 2bbl BBD, so far less leaks and stuck floats, plus a leather accelerator pump cup.

I get it, but I'd rather make what I have work. Carters are over 150 on ebay for a really junky one that I'd still have to pay for reman and flow test. Now that my 1920 is running great, I'm happy ☺

-
Back