holley 1920 carb swap with carter 3238s?

-

oppielight

Reaction score
I have a 1964 Plymouth Valiant 225 automatic wagon and my Holley 1920 carburetor is giving me trouble. It's been rebuilt but I don't want to mess with it too much more. I have found a NOS Carter BBS 3238s with the same linkage setup but not sure it it will work. My knowledge is limited so please help.
1) the 1964 manual states that I could use a Carter BBS-3678s (high pref.) or BBS-3680s (standard).

2) the Carter 3238s that I am looking at does not have as features the vacuum choke diaphragm nor the closed crankcase vent tube fitting like the currently installed Holley 1920.

could i use the Carter BBS 3238s in place of the Holley 1920?

Thanks

Attachments

• 1-untitled folder.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 131
IMHO, the carter carbs have better circuits. and are very good.. but if it has sat a lot the gaskets might be hard. there is one or two screws that go from the top casting to the bottom casting do NOT over tighten them. that will warp the castings.

thanks for the advice moe7404 - much appreciated. With a more thorough search this morning I was able to find the proper Carter replacement carb with the features that the other carter carb was missing. All the best.

thanks for the advice moe7404 - much appreciated. With a more thorough search this morning I was able to find the proper Carter replacement carb with the features that the other carter carb was missing. All the best.

Hi Oppielight,

I have '66 Dart Wagon (225 automatic trans) with a Holley 1920. The guy I bought the car from messed up the carb and linkage. It floods continuously.

What Carter did you end up getting and where? The forums seem to like the Carter carbs.

Steck

-
Back