Holley 1920 Idle issue

-

Perkial

Reaction score
Bought a remanufactured carb for our 71 Plymouth Scamp 225 6 cylinder. The engine will only idle at the high end. Turning the air mix screw in and all the way out makes no affect on idle. Any idea on what may be wrong? Is the carb bad and should I return it and get a replacement?
Thanks.

I should clarify that the idle is rough and dies unless the idle is turned up high. Anyone have any ideas on issue?

The old carb idled way better then this one. Was thinking we had some bad gas at one point but after running a lot of gallons thru the tank that issue seemed to be gone.

Well then, there IS something wrong with this one. Since it's a reman, I recommend you take it back. The other option is of course to figure out what's wrong and fix it. But you paid for a bolt-on, not a fixer-upper...

If you want to fix it;The first thing would be to verify that the float level is correct and that the valve is shutting off as it needs to. Next would be to prove the idle-air bleeds are clear.And then that the idle and transfers are also clear.

Did you put on a new gasket & take the old one off?... & do you have the correct gasket?
Is all vacuum hoses hooked up & any nun used pluged off?

Wear its remanufactured, maybe someone did not get the floats right!

Like AJ says.... send it back if you don't want to fix it. Not that you should have to since it's supposed to function right out of the box.

Thanks guys! Sorry for the delay/ been working 12s. We're taking it back. Yes all he connections and gaskets are good. Found a spring missing in the float too.

-
Back