Holley 1920 One Barrel mystery spring and ball bearing Question

-

belmateo

Reaction score
I have been having problem with a slant six engine during warm up....
It would die as if the fuel supply was cut off, first thought was the needle and seat were sticking.
Tap Tap Tap restart, runs fine for a moment then starts to stumble.
Got a rebuild kit and took the carburetor apart, as I was getting the screws out of the bowl I could hear something "rattling" around inside. As the bowl was coming off a steel ball bearing came out and on the metering block, off the the right side was a spring half out of a hole. Upon further inspection I can see that the spring and ball bearing belong inside that chamber and are held in place by a retainer. How could it be like this and drive fine, then all of a sudden it acts up?
Anybody else come across something like this?

There is something like that on my 1945 that wasn't even on it when I opened it up. It was missing the ball and a weight that sits on the ball. I took a still drill bit and made a weight for it. Helped a bit. Ended up replacing my dizzy as the one of the springs wore out. Then I noticed that my auto choke wasn't working so I opened it up and fixed it. But now I'm waiting for my choke diaphragm to come in as its it's not able to keep enough pressure to push back the choke when it is closed. Check those diaphrams as they could be bad.

I know what you are talking about. Not sure of the name of it though. I have no idea where to get the retainer, tru Mikes carborator parts. I might have a used block if needed.

What an economizer block

-
Back