holley 1920 question.

-

Smokedya

Reaction score
I've been doing some reading on here and some people are saying to just get rid of them that they are crap. What makes them that way? And how are they that bad to earn a crappy reputation? I ask this because I recently found out I had the 1920 economaster carb and decided that I would rather have the better fuel economy so I rebuilt it and plan on putting it on today. It's just for a /6.

I've only been driving my Dart (with a '74 225) for about five months now. I was just going through the 1920 that was on it, and the little boss on the metering block that holds the plastic pivot for the power circuit broke off. When I bought the car, that part was lying in the float bowl because the pin fell out.

Other than my problems with that, it was a pretty good carb. I've heard the metering blocks get uncleanably dirty, but that might just be an old story. It certainly wasn't the perfect carb. It idled just a touch rough, and light throttle acceleration was a little jerky. I rebuilt the 1945 Holley that came with the 225 engine I bought, and it runs comparably...probably apples to apples here.

I personally am more used to working on Carters for some reason, so I'd like to find a BBS for mine sometime, but I'm sure it has its quirks, too. Give the 1920 a shot...I was able to jet mine down to a 57 from a 58 and it ran the same. With the 1920, mine was pulling down about 18.5 MPG highway, but I'm running taller tires on the back now, so it ought to knock down 20. Who knows, especially with the 1945 on there now? Good luck!

I have rebuilt my 1920 and it runs and adjusted it up fine with no issues. I am not aware that they have any sort of crappy reputation. (There seems to be just a few folks running around with that idea; it is just a variant on the "Holleys suck"/"Quadrajets suck"/"Vacuum secondary carbs suck" kind of mentality.)

I would steer you towards the slantsix.org site for better info on these carbs.

my 1920 runs fine.im not a carb guy but watched a 3 step video on the rebuild on you tube and was very informative ! he sells carb kits and floats which are hard to find .also shows you how to clean out those hard to reach spots and has welchplugs ? to reassemble it .its not aways about getting the next big thing ,but to get what ya got going . check out the videos ,youll do fine .

Thank you all for the answers! I'll most definitely check out that video to make sure I did a good enough job!

-
Back