Holley 1920 Rich Prob Found

-

74desertduster

Reaction score
Been having terrible rich running condition on my slant 6....after doing some online research and reading one of slantsixdan's posts...I decided to check the power valve/economizer ball seat...and sure enough...this is what I found when I opened the float bowl.

So I can see why I have been running rich.

Once I reseat this (any good way to make sure the seat doesn't come back out), can the carb be run without the economizer diaphragm spring in place until I can locate a new 1920? Have seen some posts about that but want to confirm.

Thanks to all.

Brian

Attachments

• carb.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 311
I dont know that particular carb but most of the time a couple of stakes ( tiny tool scars ) are created in the casting to hold parts in place.
Good luck with it

Hundreds of owners have been charged for complete carb rebuild or replace over the years due to simple faults like that. Venturi bleed tubes would drop out of their stake sets often. Happy moparing

Now I have it back together but won't idle.....will die at times even at a high rpm....run for a minute or two then acts like no fuel..float level is good.....trying to get it back to running as it is my daily until I can rebuild it properly.

I had exactly that same fault in a 1920 years ago. Car started easily even in cold weather without the choke…got less than 10 miles per gallon!

Sounds to me as if you need a new carb or at least a new main metering block; I have one of the latter, new in box -- send me a PM if you'd like to buy it.

Ok...I had the economizer diaphragm off which is why it would not idle. When I replaced that, it idles nicely. It appears that the economizer rod slightly opens the balls on the power valve even at idle?

Or is that just another problem?

Ok...I had the economizer diaphragm off which is why it would not idle. When I replaced that, it idles nicely. It appears that the economizer rod slightly opens the balls on the power valve even at idle?

Shouldn't. Refer to the 1920 tweak-and-tune threads linked off here.

I had the same problem years ago as well. After I fixed it, I continued to get 10mpg...it just wasn't running rich anymore. After I junked the crappy remanufactured carb and threw on a new 1920, my mileage jumped by about 8. Paid for itself in 2 months.

Well I guess I don't really know if the economizer rod is contacting the plunger thingy or not at idle since once I screw on the cap the vacuum is supposed to pull it away.

But that did make it idle.

If it will not idle without the power valve balls being slightly depressed, what should I be looking for to repair/clean?

Also, there was no return spring on the main pump, now that I look at an exploded view. (ok, didn't come with one, found the answer).

Same thing happened to me on one of mine,just after I was bragging to a friend how fantastic my car ran and ideled with 2 1bbls on it.Re staked it and it is fine now.I get 20mpg at a steady 70mph with 323 gears.Mark

-
Back