Holley 1945 issues

-

76Scamp

Reaction score
I was out driving the 76 Scamp and out of the blue the engine starts having issues running. I limped it in to work and it stopped running altogether. I determined it to be a fuel issue and that it was with the carburetor and not with fuel getting to it. Oddly enough, I had ordered a carb kit a few days ago and it was still at work. I took it off and opened it up and the whole thing was full of this black powder stuff. I've never seen anything like it before. A friend of mine thought it might be from the charcoal canister since I hooked that up after it being unhooked for 10 years or so. Is it possible for a canister to degrade to where it's falling apart and making its way into the carburetor? I have the can hooked up to the bowl vent on top of the carburetor and one other line, but I don't remember which. All I know for sure is that it's hooked up according to the vacuum diagram. The only thing not hooked up is the osac or whatever it is.

That is completely possible. My friend had a dodge ram with a 225 that had a bunch of stuff unhooked. We got it all sorted out and it ran for about 50 miles until the carb got trashed.

That is completely possible. My friend had a dodge ram with a 225 that had a bunch of stuff unhooked. We got it all sorted out and it ran for about 50 miles until the carb got trashed.

In all honesty, with how much this car gets used, that's probably about what had been put on it since everything was hooked back up. After the rebuild it idled for five minutes, drove all of 30 feet, and then started to run terrible again but it did make it back home. I'll just take it apart myself tomorrow and clean it out again. The grandson of the old lady I got the car from did it for me because I was working and I must say he did quite well for his first time and not knowing what he was doing with a carburetor. We're both early 20's, but I only work on and know 1990 and older, whereas he does anything newer.

It's the chrocoal not the can, you want the can system it does serve a purpose. Replace the chrocoal in the can with new and it's not the kind for your grill either. Have you replaced the fuel filter? Checked float level? Made sure its getting full spark? Checked the fuel pump? Have you gone over to slantsix.org yet? It has all the answers you seek. Ok so use your service manual and sit at the table lay down a sheet take pictures and use a paint pen to mark things as you go, just take your time.

It's the chrocoal not the can, you want the can system it does serve a purpose. Replace the chrocoal in the can with new and it's not the kind for your grill either. Have you replaced the fuel filter? Checked float level? Made sure its getting full spark? Checked the fuel pump? Have you gone over to slantsix.org yet? It has all the answers you seek. Ok so use your service manual and sit at the table lay down a sheet take pictures and use a paint pen to mark things as you go, just take your time.

what? its the charcol not the can?what does that mean?im sure the op knows the plastic can is not what is getting into the carb.

I'm not too sure, but I don't think you can replace the charcoal in the can. Being my truck has the charcoal canister behind the driver's headlight, I was just gonna take it off of there and put it on the car. I've already replaced the fuel filter and when my friend was rebuilding the carb, I did have to help him in the few moments I had between customers since he was too sure what he was doing, and I set the float level to just under the lip of the bowl. The fuel pump seems to be putting out enough pressure. As for spark, the control module is six years old and it does need cap, rotor, and wires. I put new plugs in it a few months ago. I do need to pull the distributor and look at it because the advance seems to be stuck; no matter how much I rev the engine up, it stays at 10 degrees. I found out who the mechanic was that used to work on it for the old lady, I know him, he's one of the worst mechanics I know, so I can only imagine what I'm gonna be finding as I fix stuff on this car.

-
Back