holley 2 brl carb question

-

mrtires24

Reaction score
I am running a 1977 cougar for this years hit to pass race season. ( I wouldn't reck a dodge) anyways. this car has been sitting for years. I took the carb off and cleaned it all out and bought a rebuld kit for it. I then put it back on the car. when you push the throtle it squirts gass out the jets. If I pump the gas it will fire, but it won't idle. I can keep it running if I push the throttle back and fourth continuously. but if I stop, the engine stops.

I am just trying to get the car to idle right now. It doesn't have a working fuel pump. I have a pop bottle with gas in it as gravity feed to the carb. Is this not good enough? does it need the presure from the fuel pump?

I am just trying to invision how fuel gets in the carb while idleing. I remember testing the carb on the bench and if I tiltet it forward I would see fuel seaping out the two center parts dropping fuel down towards wherte the intake would be.( fuel was not coming from the jets, except if I pulled the throttle ) but if I had the carb level, it wouldn't seep fuel.

I know about the idle set screw. but what draws the fuel out of the carb when idleing? is it vacume? or pressure from the pump? I have squeezed the pop bottle hard to try and get it to do something, and NO fuel comes out. only if I pull the throttle.

I didn't remove the mixture screws. I never have on any carb. should I remove them for cleaning?

I know its not a dodge, but I need some help. races start in a month.

its a 1977 cougar

Phil

OK, I know now that gravety feed won't work.

I am just trying to understand how it all works.

it doesn't make sence.

Phil

-
Back