Holley Carb/linkage problems

-

transman

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Holley Spread bore to replace my aging Thermoquad. The model I picked was the one recommended by Holley and was a direct bolt on replacement except for the linkage for the trans kickdown rod, and the throttle cable. As you know there is a threaded arm that sticks out from the carb that both these items attach to. It is removeable from the thermoquad. I attached it to the Holley, a lo and behold, the kickdown rod and the throttle cable do not line up properly. They are bent at about a 15 degree angle towards the center of the intake manifold.

Anybody out there done this changeover before , and if you have is there any possibility of showing a picture or two on how you made this work.

Many thanks

email me at home if you want
[email protected]

transman8)

I had the same problem and was confused for a tad until the guys helped me out. This is an old thread, however if your setup is close and you can see the different locations of the 1st and last pic it should help.
PS. As stated...you may require a few extra holley arm parts.

BTW...I ended up cutting that extented "tab" off the arm so nothing would bind!

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=9891&highlight=kickdown

A big thanks to 340Mopar and 69signetV8 for the information.
I bought the adapter bracket, and after fooling around a bit with a die grinder it now fits the spread bore. I found out that this bracket was for the square flange carb, but like I say it now appears that I can get this to work.
An interesting side note is the Carb, which Holley told me was a direct bolt on for the spread bore 340/360, is now only a replacement for the GM quadrajet. Oh well, we'll make it work, and the geometry for the kickdown linkage and throttle cable will be as it should be.

Thanks again

transman

Well I got the Holley on today, and with a bit of fooling around and a couple of flat washers for spacers, all is right in my Challenger world.:-D
Carb went on with no problems, and the engine fired up almost right away. The only adjustment that has been done is to adjust the idle. I'm going to take it over to a friends shop and touch up the settings with a gas analyzer. Much better throttle response by the way with the Holley. Then again, the old Thermoquad was 33 years old.
Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

transman8)

-
Back