Holley carburetor rebuild questions..

-

crashcaptn

1965 Dodge Dart GT
Reaction score
It's time for a rebuild.. but I've never rebuilt a carburetor before! I got my kit from Jeg's last night and the instruction sheet is TERRIBLE! I figured it would come with a step by step that i could follow.. but it is more of a diagram with one picture of the carb exploded... Does anyone know if there's a better instruction manual somewhere online, or maybe if anyone has advice for me in general?

Just for fun, here's how she sits as of today:

liveWnWF8K.jpg

Any advice would help.. or maybe some encouragement! I'm pretty intimidated by this kit; I'll be honest!

dude theses r simple.

u got a gasket for the main body/throttle plate that u just match up to the new gaskets to find the right 1[depending on kit]
Then a new power valve/gasket, meter block & bowl gaskets

shooter gaskets, vac diaphram, etc....

really simple.

I'll try and find u a step by step.

dude theses r simple.

u got a gasket for the main body/throttle plate that u just match up to the new gaskets to find the right 1[depending on kit]
Then a new power valve/gasket, meter block & bowl gaskets

shooter gaskets, vac diaphragm, etc....

really simple.

I'll try and find u a step by step.

Thank you! I hear these are simple, and everyone says, "just put it together the way it came apart" so.. I'm thinking i can do it.. I'm pretty good with this stuff usually. I was really hoping for a better diagram though. Thanks again!

I'm in n county san diego 'vista' so If you are mobile and need help, you can bring it by.

hey thanks i appreciate that a lot! I'm in North Park pretty close to Hillcrest area.. airport.. so on. I'd be mobile however, so you may get a pm ;)

My friend the surgeon gets a big table with a sheet spread across it... screw by screw, piece by piece, as you remove it you lay them down "IN ORDER" till there is nothing left but the body. Clean the body, and go backwards... cleaning and re-installing each piece and screw. Make sure to count turns on the air screws before removing them.
I wonder if he does the same with his customers at work?

My friend the surgeon gets a big table with a sheet spread across it... screw by screw, piece by piece, as you remove it you lay them down "IN ORDER" till there is nothing left but the body. Clean the body, and go backwards... cleaning and re-installing each piece and screw. Make sure to count turns on the air screws before removing them.
I wonder if he does the same with his customers at work?

This is the way i was thinking of doing it as well.. i hope my table is big enough..! I will take this advice for sure.. maybe just blow up the carb into all its parts, take meticulous notes and replace the original parts with new parts from the kit..

I often thought of surgery like working on a car.. you can jumpstart a heart the same way as a battery.... the carb is basically like the lungs/heart.. so on... :)

You know that you don't soak the base plate? It has bushings around the shaft that will kind of melt.

When I rebuild a Holley I do it with carb cleaner and compressed air. I only soak it when there is a carb fire, got some really dirty fuel, or it has sat for a long time and might be varnished on the inside.

For a simple gasket renew carb cleaner and compressed air.

I stole some canned air from work and i'll pick up carb cleaner.. I didnt realize you dont soak the base though.. thank you.

Glad to help, I learned the hard way by toasting a base plate.

Dan...

-
Back