holley economaster

-

demonmike70

Reaction score
just put a holley economaster on my 318, 2280,wow runs great,only nos carburetor did not come with instuctions,my problem is the choke lever on carb is higher than bbd carb,tried to bend rod on choke control rod,but it's just to short to pull choke closed,this car had low top bbd,do i need choke for high top?

You should like that Economaster. I put one on my '67 273 over 30 years ago- big improvement in running compared to the stock unit and hasn't needed one bit of work since installation.

I'm guessing this is on your '77?

There's no difference between a choke thermostat for a "low top" vs. "high top" BBD. The differences in choke lever configuration are \6 vs. V8 engine. Also, if you're trying to "pull" the choke closed something's bassackwards; the choke pushrod is supposed to push the choke closed. Sounds like your choke thermostat might be boogered up. If you are not able to bend up a working new pushrod from 1/8" brass rod stock (coat hanger wire is too thin and bendy), then get the appropriate adjustable Electric choke kit (link lists \6 part numbers; call up source and ask by application) and you'll be all set with a better-than-original choke setup.

But if the carb you bought was configured for a \6, it'll still be the wrong choke lever shape and position for a V8. You may still have to improvise.

I'm guessing this is on your '77?

There's no difference between a choke thermostat for a "low top" vs. "high top" BBD. The differences in choke lever configuration are \6 vs. V8 engine. Also, if you're trying to "pull" the choke closed something's bassackwards; the choke pushrod is supposed to push the choke closed. Sounds like your choke thermostat might be boogered up. If you are not able to bend up a working new pushrod from 1/8" brass rod stock (coat hanger wire is too thin and bendy), then get the appropriate adjustable Electric choke kit (link lists \6 part numbers; call up source and ask by application) and you'll be all set with a better-than-original choke setup.

But if the carb you bought was configured for a \6, it'll still be the wrong choke lever shape and position for a V8. You may still have to improvise.
your right,it pushes choke closed.it's 72 318.tried shorter base gasket,still too short.going to try to make new rod.but at 85-90 deg. out almost every day as of late the lack of choke has not been a problem!

-
Back