Holley float question

-

mopar56

Reaction score
I'm rebuilding a Holley 1850, it's old, in fact I took this thing apart to clean 35 years ago, I then sold the project it was for and put it all in a clean bucket. Anyway it wasn't that old when I took it apart so the throttle shafts etc are tight etc. Now many years later as I already had a " trick kit" for it I decided to put it back together to put on my 56 Dodge p/u 318. Here's my question, it's got side hung floats that are cone shaped, the two springs I have that were removed all those years ago are slightly different from each other, one is stronger with more winds. I obviously can't remember what spring was primary and what was secondary, I've been searching the net and some info says the front and rear bowls use the same spring and some say the primary bowl uses the heavy spring and lighter in secondary. I've ordered a second heavy spring from my local parts store to make them the same if I choose. Now I realize the accelerater pump springs come in different colors and spring tensions but honestly what difference would float spring tension make? Anyone have experience with these? Photos of the different ones attached.

Screenshot_20231120_211637_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231120_211603_Chrome.jpg

The float sprAngs should be the same.

Someone disagreed with me and that's all good, but how about ejeekatin me?

Its a float spring...if it springs send it. Theoretically they should be the same as 3r said above.

If....the front float was brass and rear nitrile would the weight difference necessitate a specific spring for each? The job it is doing is rudimentary and the spring is mostly working against the buoyancy of the float, which is mathematically defined by it's volume. In motion the weight of the float comes into play but in this instance I would tend to think that element of the equation is marginal.

The answer: Holley 4150 with center hung floats : D

Last edited:
The floats are both brass, and I know the new holleys went center sprung float , BUT as I said, I already had this carb , it's in good condition AND I had the kit, I just wanted to try something different from a a eddy carb which has been by go to for many years, I remember using holleys a bit as a kid and they were good to. Like you said it's function is rudimentary so really it shouldn't mater, I already ordered the new float spring which arrives today so I'll try matching float springs just because it makes sence to be the same. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
-
Back