Holley Help

-

451 duster

451 duster
Reaction score
I posted a thread on here a while back about having carb trouble. Ended up taking vacation time to work on my ride and the only trouble Im having is my carb is running rich. I have a 451 stroker and had a eled 800 that was rebuilt but ran rich no matter what I did .I adjusted the floats three time even though they were at the correct spec and even less by the time I got sick of it. I bought a new holley street avenger and it does the same thing. I can only stand to be in the garage a few mininutes before mys eyes start to water and I feel like Im going to pass out. Am I missing something? Fuel pump is an eled street mech pump, factory set a 6 ,Im running a mopar 509 cam,full port polish 906 heads. tm6 intake.If you need more info please ask and please HELP. I would love to drive my car before winter hits again.Ill try anything and Im open to any suggestions. Thanks

I hope you have that garage door open.

This stuff comes up all the time and it is really simple.

First check everything.... TIming, vacuum leaks, ignition condition.

Next if it is only rich at idle you should be able to adjust this with the mixture screws. If you are rich at cruse start jetting the carb down.

Go down 2 jet sizes at a time then adjust by 1 to fine tune.

I run an 800 Holley DP on a 340 with no issues.

Well it wont even idle now so I cant check those right now. But it did run fantastic when I first drove it home from the shop and it got worse every time I drove it. Ingnition is all new MSD and I wold be surprized if the timing moved but I will check that.And I guess that over a short period of time you can develope a vaccume leak. But I thought holley avengers were ready right out of the box? Ill have to get a buddy of mine to come over and help me keep it running so I can check out for vac leaks. Theres no vac lines so intake?Frusterated again

I would try seating the idle mixture screws on the metering blocks then bringing them out 1 turn, 1.5 turns is (normally) where they are factory set.

Turning the screws clockwise = leaning the idle.

It should stumble and die if both are turned all the way in. If not you have other issues.

I have my Holley book in my hand, let me know if anything happens.

Well it wont even idle now so I cant check those right now. But it did run fantastic when I first drove it home from the shop and it got worse every time I drove it. Ingnition is all new MSD and I wold be surprized if the timing moved but I will check that.And I guess that over a short period of time you can develope a vaccume leak. But I thought holley avengers were ready right out of the box? Ill have to get a buddy of mine to come over and help me keep it running so I can check out for vac leaks. Theres no vac lines so intake?Frusterated again

Ready "out of the box" is a relative term. Is simply means is should run and be reasonably close.

OK ill try this first do you have a vacuum gage. if yes there's a start.first screw your idle screws in all the way in tight but not real time then turn 1 1/2 turns out that should get you running ok .KNOW with your vacuum gage plugged in to a god vac. port start at one side and start turning the screws in you should here the motor start to stumble a little stop look at your vac. gage see were its setting OK now start turning back out watching your gage until it gets to its highest point...STOP.. do the other side the same then recheck.. you should be good to go.a well tuned carb should start as soon as you hit the key with out here in the starter crank..after its warmed up.im not to good at explaining things im sure someone is better at that then i am. keep trying youl get it....

OK it did idle long enough for me to adjust the idle screws but what seems od is that the more I went counter clockwise the better it idled and I had to turn the fast idle screw in alot more to keep it running

Bringing out the screws will richen the idle mixture. Do you have a vacuum gauge.

godfatherofchry's way is the correct way (and the way I do it). I'm just trying to help you get some of the stink out and keep the idle at an acceptable level.

How is the timing?

You know.... This is so easy when I am doing it myself... but I feel like a retard when I try to explain it to someone else.

Bringing out the screws will richen the idle mixture. Do you have a vacuum gauge.

godfatherofchry's way is the correct way (and the way I do it). I'm just trying to help you get some of the stink out and keep the idle at an acceptable level.

How is the timing?

You know.... This is so easy when I am doing it myself... but I feel like a retard when I try to explain it to someone else.
i know what you mean about explaining things i lernt buy waching listing

Well Im not sure what happened but if my timing marks are correct Im way off. I dont know how it would of moved. I feel stupid. Ill get the timing back in where its supposed to be and readjust the carb like you told me and Ill let you know how it turned out or if I have any more questions Thank you so much. Ill let you know

Well its not timing If I adjust either way The idle gets worse gets worse.I was able to get the carb adjusted so I can stay in the garage with out commiting suicide though. I Guess look for a manifold leak

Well I just got paged to work,My vacation is over, I guess Ill shoot for next spring. Thanks guys for all your help. I really do appriaciate it

Just a disappointing update. Back in the garage trying to tune the holley and at some point the milidon oil pump quit working and it sure sounds like it did some damage.This is the only luck I have.I think Im done.

Im not sure what happened.Its a new motor. Im to bummed out to enter the garage.Ive been working on this car for 3 years and this is what happens. Im not sure what to do.maybe Ill try to find another running motor and trans,Something I can drop in and go.

I always pour A lil oil into the pump and rotate the drive to draw it through.
If it was a high volume pump and you didn't have the hardened tip intermediate shaft the shaft can break and motor will run on with no oil pressure.

-
Back