Holley metering block. Is this a problem?

-

deanster

Reaction score
The problem I'm having is intermittent. It runs good when it wants to and acts like a huge vacuum leak when it wants to. Doesn't matter if its just started or warms up. This started after I changed from a torker manifold to a dual plane performer. It ran good before but lacked bottom end power. I pulled my carb apart to check for trash (found some) and found little splits in the metering plate. Hard to get a good picture. Thanks...Dean

100_0549.jpg

100_0547.jpg

100_0553.jpg

100_0554.jpg

Its hard to really see good, but from what i "do" see, that metering block looks "f#cked" up, i would find another one & use it!

Thanks. I bought the carb used from a fabo member and it has worked real good. The rest of the carb looks shiny new, I'm not sure what may have caused this....Dean

i see no problim it it were leaking you would see gas right at the mixyure screw are you.

No leakage. Cleaned the trash out around the inlet side and it is running better but not as good as it was before I changed intakes. It has a surge to it at idle. Thanks.

I hate to ask -- but does the intake have a vacuum leak? you said it worked better with the other intake-- & now it surges.. do the idle mixture screws work properly ? just food for thought ,Lawrence

I tried spraying around the intake and didn't notice any difference. I have not tried any adjustments yet but will this weekend. Thanks.

Well I tried adjusting on the carburetor but no help. Then I swapped on a quadrejet and that didn't make a difference either. The intake I put on was used with no signs of damage.
It won't stay running on its on and sometimes if I wind it up to about 4000 rpm it will correct itself temporarily.
Could there be something wrong with the intake or maybe something else caused this problem at the same time I swapped intakes? I hate intermittent problems...Any help is appreciated...Dean

Ok if I remember on the top of your metering block there should be 2 small brass plugs,something call the down well,if they get plug with crap she is never going to run wright.You will have to get new plugs and pop them out and clean out that area.

my problems usually start with last thing i touched i believe you have intake problem seeings how you changed carbs with no result and problem started when you changed intake

Changing intakes is a pretty east job. The problem started when you put the new intake on, so swap the old one back on and see if it disappears. If it does, then you have narrowed down the problem to the new intake. At least then you know what to troubleshoot. Good luck with it and keep us posted of your results. The more you find out the more people can help.

Thanks for the help everyone. My cousin gave me another carb to try and sure enough that fixed it. It was odd to have two carb's do the same thing like that. When I get another metering block I'll rebuild my holley and try again. On another note does the holley 600 use the same metering block as the bigger carbs? I haven't found one advertised for my 600. Thanks again...Dean

-
Back