Holley Street Avenger blues

-

66dartman

Reaction score
I thought the Holley street avenger was supposed to be a bolt on & go carb, so I talked my friend into letting me put one on his Ford 390. Mistake. Leaks, unadjusted floats, etc have made me regret the choice. Anyone else have issues with the street avenger?

misadjusted floats i think is common to all carbs. i have only had a couple of carbs that "out of the box" ran great. i was amazed. i always have to pull them apart and check things. where is it leaking from?

I bought a Holly Street Avenger for my 340 and it worked great right out of the box.....sorry to hear of your delimea.

The inverted flare inlet fittings to the float bowls had too be REALLY tight to stop the leakage; a fellow mechanic could't believe how tight they had to be to stop the leakage-tight enough that we feared breaking the bowl. I am disappointed in the carb because the instructions claim that you don't need to adjust the floats. Imagine the standard consumer installing the carb and having similar problems. I bought a carb from Promax out of Indianapolis that I haven't touched at all after install, it was truly ready to run.

I thought the Holley street avenger was supposed to be a bolt on & go carb, so I talked my friend into letting me put one on his Ford 390. Mistake. Leaks, unadjusted floats, etc have made me regret the choice. Anyone else have issues with the street avenger?

I just put a 670 Street Avenger on my 360. This is the closest I have ever had to a drop it on an go carb. I didn't have to adjust the floats but I did swap in the brass plugs that came with the carb once I knew they were OK, set the idle speed and I was driving. After 50 miles or so of driving I tweaked the idle mixture screws but they wound up within 1/8 of a turn from where they were, richened the choke so it would take a little longer to open (open plenum intakes take longer to warm up) and wound up going one step softer on the secondary spring. The carb came with the plain installed and a long yellow and black, I installed the purple one from the spring kit. The stock jetting was spot on, even picked up 2.5 mpg compared to the 600 Holley I was running at the time of the switch.

The carb has awesome throttle reponse and my butt dyno is telling me I didn't give up any top end compared to the 750 Holley or 725 Demon I tried. Both those carbs can't hold a candle to the 670 when it comes to low and mid range response.

I didn't use the fuel fittings that came with the carb. I had ordered the summit fuel line when i ordered the carb and it only took what I would refere to as normal snugging up to prevent any leaks.

-
Back