Holley whistle!

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I have a 650 DP 4777-3 holley that workes great, but I wanted bigger so I bought a 4779 body, transfered everything over from the 650 to the 750. It runs great; however, it whistles loudly at idle between 500-900 rpm. I checked several times for a vacuum leak and I do not at all. I used carb cleaner, propane and covered the air horn. Absolutely positive no leak at all. I really think it is coming from the throttle blades on the primary side.
I was thinking that, if I could to either open or close the secondary blades some, the angle of the primaries will be different to keep it from whistling. It whistles so loud, with the aircleaner on and hood closed, you can still hear it from 20 feet away.
Any suggestions?

Classic symptom, of worn primary throttle shaft bushings.Anyway,bump.

Yup. Grab the throttle shafts and wiggle them around while it's runnin. If the whistle changes or stops, you need to bush the throttle plate. If there's no change, it is almost 100% always a leak at the carburetor mounting flange gasket at the intake manifold.

I had a Holley whistle and it had sucked a piece of gasket from under mounting flange but took a while to find it.

Maybe it's just bored?

Thats awesome!
I went out after work yesterday, started it and no more whistle. I dunno, Maybe it was bored. It runs great, and I can not find any vacuum leak at all, every time i check. Guess I'll just drive on with it.
Thanks

-
Back