hollow knock knock knock braking noise

-

michformulaS

Reaction score
I am getting ready to put the car away again for the winter this weekend. I have been daily driving my Barracuda the last couple months on nice days and a weird noise has developed when I brake. I notice it when my windows are down and there is something on the passenger side of the car like a curb to reflect the sound. It is kind of a hollow tapping or knocking noise as I brake. It almost sounds like a stone in the tread (but more hollow sounding) and has become louder the last few weeks. It seems to come from the passenger side front and slows as I slow. Wheels/hub are cool to the touch and lugs are tight. I will pull the front brakes and bearings in the spring (as I normally do) but wondered if anybody might have an idea what this might be. 1968 Formula S with original drum brakes. Stops very well especially considering I am still running drums at all 4 corners. Just looking for suggestions if it is something normal.

Maybe jack the front of the car up & spin the wheels. Have a friend sit inside the car tapping the brakes........See if you can duplicate the noise?

I've heard that sound a couple times, first time was the shoe hold down clip broke

second time took abit of figuring out, but wasen't the brakes at all, it was a full disc hubcap moving on the wheel

Yep, look for broken parts, also I had a Dart once that made noise and it was the drum brake backing plates had grooves worn in them from the shoes(many miles and changes) that made a clicking,knocking noise when applied.Welded them up,grind smooth and all was better.

I would think it was something inside the drum, like a spring clip popped loose. I would check it out -- something like that can score the drum pretty bad, and they aren't getting cheaper.

Thanks. I put her away for the winter this weekend. I need to decide if I am finally going to convert it over to disks in the spring anyway. Honestly the power drums work fine so I will likely just open them up and look to see what's going on before I put it back on the road and stay with the drums. I also think that something had come loose in there (spring, shoe, etc)

It seems odd that there was no change in braking performance if something has let loose in there. I doesn't pull at all and brakes fine. It just makes the hollow knocking or tapping noise at the same rate the car is moving. Interval between knocks gets less frequent as car slows down. I will look for this thread and post an update in the spring. Hopefully it is a short off season this year.

-
Back