Holy crap that's why my Dart looking crap!

-

Pompis

Reaction score
Hey fellow FABO members, ever since I bought my 1973 Dart have I think that it is something with the car that doesn't look right. Yesterday I finally figured it out. It is the rear wheel house that somebody have cut out to probably remove rust at both sides. This looks ugly and my only options is replace with some new or used quarter panels. But does the 67-76 Dart have the same wheel house opening or must I search for 72-76 quarter panels as they are the same?

Here are some measurements I have made. Would appreciate if somebody could do the same measurements at your Dart, so I have a clue how much that's gone. The other picture is a comparision how it should look like.
DSC_1828_Maringtt_zpse03d1109.jpg

Wheelhouse_zpsd07d632d.png

Thanks FABO

EDIT: I converted the measurements from mm to inch wrong.

yup looks like crap, and yea only 73-76 and NO, 4 door quarters from 73-76 wont work,

being were you live gonna be hard and not cheap to have some good quarters shipped to you,,

They did a decent job of it, at least.

Thank you for your input. It would be best using the amd quarter panel but shipping it to Sweden cost about what the quarter panels cost. Have seen some wheel house openings not whole quarter panels on ebay from another car models and then the shipping was only $75-100. That's not to bad so maybe it would be possible to get some good used wheel house openings shipped from USA to Sweden for those prices if I dont can get any here in Sweden.

So there is no chance using the wheel house opening from a earlier hardtop Dart then? They look the same to me. I think that the 70-71 have another hole for the sidemarker and otherwise the same shape. The 67-69 have diffrent holes 68-69 for the sidemarker except 67 that doesn't have sidemarker at the back and the back side off the 67-69 quarter panel is vertical instead of sloped like the 70-76. This is just my thoughts for the purpose that finding 2 new/used wheel house openings easier because I doesn't need the rear of the quarter where it's vertical or sloped.

Thanks

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why do you need new whole quarters? It looks to me like just the rear quarter sections from AMD would fix it up fine. Even if they changed the angle of the rear portion of the rear well itself, AMD's rear quarter patches go all the way up above the wheel a little bit. It looks like it would fix the whole thing. My guess is you wouldn't have to use but just the bottom 10" or so, but if you needed more, you'd have it. You'll need the inner trunk dropoffs too, or assuming this is just a driver, you could probably just make those pretty easily.

Unless there's more to it that I can't see in the pics, this doesn't look any worse to fix than if you just had some rust holes down there.

This is what about is missing on the wheel well opening.

DSC_1828_missing_zps41a9f246.jpg

I agree I dont need whole quarters but the issue with the AMD rear quarter patches is the shipping will cost a fortune getting them to Sweden. I just want to explore what choices and which years will fit my wheel well so I don't need to buy AMD patches. The best would be finding them in Sweden but it's a slim pickings out here.

Thank for yours help it's appreciated.

Kinda reminds me of the cutouts they did on the 68 hemi darts, might as well tubb it and put on funny car slicks.

But that's just me as I see all old mopars needing to be tubbed

In my honest opinion I'd just put two new complete quarters on it. It's a bit more expensive but way easier and the finished product will have less filler. Or just throw some big *** tires under it and enjoy

OHHHHHHHHHH, I see... I didn't notice before how it's also modified in FRONT of the wheel. I was totally focused on the shortened rear section. I knew I must be missing something!

Yeah, if it were me, I would say forget it and put some huge wheels/tires on the back and make it look like it was on purpose. Unless you run across some quarters locally pretty cheap and have the ability to do it yourself pretty easily.

-
Back