home fabricated front and rear torqueboxes

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

i decided to make some torque boxes for the cuda project. i started with a sheet of card stock from hobby lobby, a ruler, and a hobby knife, and modeled these to be similar to the ones sold thru USCartool , however i modified these a bit, since my park brake , fuel line, and brake line is going to be on the inboard side of the subframe connectors, i didnt bother to cut any reliefs in these for those parts. i had 1/8" plate steel lying around from other projects.

The two torque boxes in the last picture on the LH side of the pic have been trimmed and shaped a bit and are ready to install. i havent decided if i want to put an access hole in the front ones and fill it with a plastic body plug yet. i have 2 different sizes of hole saw for the 2 different plug sizes. i used a heavy duty sheetmetal brake at my work to form these. i need to take pix of these fitted and clamped in place but am currently scraping all the old undercoating off and prepping the underside for new seam sealer and a new coat of primer.

Matt

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 247
  • 012.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 246
  • 010.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 235
Nice work Matt, I always like seeing your metal fab pictures. It looks like your making
some good progress on the barracuda.

Nice work Matt, I always like seeing your metal fab pictures. It looks like your making
some good progress on the barracuda.

Thanks. She is coming along pretty nicely. Its a little rough to work on it over the weekends since my wife works nights on the weekends, but i came up with a solution. When i put the baby down for his afternoon nap, i take one of my other kids oot there with me. My girls are 7 and 8. They are my little helpers, and we spend mebbe 3 hours out there currently scraping undercoating off. When the baby wakes up we go back inside.

Its not much time, but its some.

Matt

Are you making your own frame connectors also? I have bought the steel for my barracuda but haven't cut it yet. I have thought of making the boxes, nice to see it being done.
I did see you got yours on its side some how.

Are you making your own frame connectors also? I have bought the steel for my barracuda but haven't cut it yet. I have thought of making the boxes, nice to see it being done.
I did see you got yours on its side some how.

I have pix of my dirt cheap body rotisserie. I had most of the steel as leftovers from other projects. Had to spend $44 on extra steel to finish making it. I put my pix of it on a thread in the tools section of fabo. Its under a thread entitled body rotisserie never seen one like this before.

I put subframe connectors in 2x3 1/8" box steel layed on its side so it only comes thru rear footwell 1/2" i ran the park brake cable inboard of the connectors. Its the cleanest easiest way.

I posted pix of these somewhere on one of the forums. You need to do the subframe connectors first before the rear torque boxes if you decide to run the connectors all the way back to the spring perch mount, as the torque boxes will overlap the subframe connectors in this location.

Hope this helps
Matt

-
Back