Home head porting

-

matrix845

Reaction score
I want to port a set of old heads that are collecting dust just to say i did
my question is how do you when the ports are equal i will be doing this at home and do not have any test equipmet is there any books or guides on home porting? i did a search and did not find much thanks

I thought that too, until I spent a couple of hours on them.

I found it was easier to spend 12 hours at work and give THAT money to somebody who actually knew what they were doing.:thumbup: LOL.

ROFL............now thats a true statement

Anyone can cut.................but actual porting is best done by people who have the right tools, flow bench, and years doing it.

I think I mentioned that we've been testing the modern 5.7 HEMI heads and have sold tons of them around the country...................

As we did more and more we learned more and more.............

We're now on our 4th gen valve angles................we've picked up an average of 8 - 12 cfm just in valve angle ALONE!

My point is, home porting is best done if and when you want to gasket match...................but actual porting is an art best left to artists ...............an oppinion only.

i want to port a set of heads just to say i did .
i like to try as much as i can so i can learn more.
im not looking for a killer racing port job i know that is best left to pros

I say go for it,I learned to port my own heads and its alot of work but it saves me several hundred bucks and I need to save where I can.It takes alot of time and you need to learn as much as you can about head flow,port sizing ect.Also it really helps to be able to get you hands on and in a lot of different heads such as aftermarket,ported ect-after a while you will be able to feel/see a good short turn nad a good port shape.Its not easy but it can be very rewarding,my heads are top notch and are professionally done and its nice to get all the power in exchange for my time instead of the cash.

-
Back