HOME MADE MASTER CYLINDER ADAPTER

-

WAYNE0

Reaction score
Between being impatient & not having the money right now i decided to make my own 4 to 2 master cylinder adapter. Not sure if it will work but we will find out.

MASTERCYLINDER BRACKET 001.JPG

MASTERCYLINDER BRACKET 002.JPG

MASTERCYLINDER BRACKET 003.JPG

MASTERCYLINDER BRACKET 004.JPG

MASTERCYLINDER BRACKET 005.JPG

MASTERCYLINDER BRACKET 006.JPG

Good job, you could sell those. If you made the offset adapters, you can even get more money.

Not sure what the offset adapters look like. Ill have to look them up. Now the only thing i noticed is the pedal is aot higher than before. Dr. Diff wants 35 for his. I dont think thats a bad price but the shipping might be. Thanks guys

Not sure what the offset adapters look like. Ill have to look them up. Now the only thing i noticed is the pedal is aot higher than before. Thanks guys
That’s not a bad thing, I installed disc brakes on mine, and the pedal is a little lower.

Last edited:
That’s not a bad thing, I install disc brakes in mine, and the pedal is a little lower.
Ill have to post a picture. The brake pedal is as a guess about 4-5 inches above the clutch pedal

What is your plate Wayne? 3/16"? I'm sure that's where the pedal difference is, but there's no reason why yours won't work, unless you just don't like the additional pedal height. I don't see how in the world it could affect operation.

I've got the AR Engineering adapter.(the one Dr Diff sells) Its designed so the stock pushrod can be reused. Any thicker/thinner and the pedal won't be at the proper height unless you use an adjustable pushrod. Is it a huge issue if the pedal isn't in the exact factory location...not sure. I guess that depends on the individual behind the wheel.

One thing that I did notice about the adapter is that it doesn't completely cover the firewall hole on my 68. The very top of the firewall cutout is exposed once the adapter is in place. With the gasket installed it's not noticeable but ideally the adapter should block the entire hole IMO. I might put some strip caulk on the back side so the gasket isn't the only thing over the hole.

Back when I bought mine, no adapter to master cylinder gasket was included. Now they sell them with the gasket. I think I'll talk with James at DMT about making me a gasket for mine since AR Engineering won't sell the gasket separately.

I've got the AR Engineering adapter.(the one Dr Diff sells) Its designed so the stock pushrod can be reused. Any thicker/thinner and the pedal won't be at the proper height unless you use an adjustable pushrod. Is it a huge issue if the pedal isn't in the exact factory location...not sure. I guess that depends on the individual behind the wheel.

One thing that I did notice about the adapter is that it doesn't completely cover the firewall hole on my 68. The very top of the firewall cutout is exposed once the adapter is in place. With the gasket installed it's not noticeable but ideally the adapter should block the entire hole IMO. I might put some strip caulk on the back side so the gasket isn't the only thing over the hole.

Back when I bought mine, no adapter to master cylinder gasket was included. Now they sell them with the gasket. I think I'll talk with James at DMT about making me a gasket for mine since AR Engineering won't sell the gasket separately.
Is this with your reinforcement plate on the firewall?

1CFC75AD-4639-4E53-8975-20C11AB61E84.jpeg
2298A68C-9BF0-4FAE-8B93-04D74F0D81E8.jpeg

For folks interested, here's some dimensions you could use to make your own. I ended up making mine a smidge taller to completely clear the hole in the firewall.

6412648-mastercylinderadapter.jpg

What is your plate Wayne? 3/16"? I'm sure that's where the pedal difference is, but there's no reason why yours won't work, unless you just don't like the additional pedal height. I don't see how in the world it could affect operation.
its 1/4 in it pushes really nice not worried about the height just looks really high compared to the clutch pedal

yea i made mine to cover it & ran out of gasket material so i just put a bead of caulking on the back side

here is the difference between the clutch & brake pedal looks worse in person

BRAKE PEDAL HEIGHT 001.JPG

if im right the reinforcement was for power brakes ive never seen one with it for a car with manual brakes
I’m wondering now if it’s just on B bodies that have the reinforcement plate for manual brakes. See the eBay listings below of pictures of both power and manual plates.

173D12D3-C84F-4727-9E88-7CECCFD8C665.jpeg

-
Back