Homemade front torque boxes

-

Mrpatel

512Dart
Reaction score
made a set of these up over the weekend. Turned out nice. I dimpled the holes for xtra strength. $14 in steel. Andrew

IMG_1346.JPG

IMG_1349.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG

IMG_1352.JPG

Looks nice enough.
Did you prep the insides with primer or paint?

I think I would've made the dimple at the holes a bit deeper and also kept the lower corners open instead of the half circles near the center, as that's where usually most of the moisture and dirt ends up.

Are you going to make boxes at the rear too?

I used 11 or 12ga CRS. I could only make the dimples so deep as I used old bearing and a trailer hitch ball in the bearing press. The holes are 1.250 and the 2 half moons at the bottom were made by butting the edges together when drilling. I did not weld it solid or at the corners due to stress and cracking concerns with the welds. My car came from factory with the rear torque boxes. The insides were painted prior to installation. Thanks Andrew

Thanks for the replys. I picked up some urethane seam sealer tonight. I plan on sealing the underside of the car at the joints. I will post when it is done. A good seam sealer works to seal, but is also a flexible adhesive. Andrew

Thanks for the replys. I picked up some urethane seam sealer tonight. I plan on sealing the underside of the car at the joints. I will post when it is done. A good seam sealer works to seal, but is also a flexible adhesive. Andrew
why put the chamfer up ? looks like it will try to hold a little water if u seal the seams. Think I would have turned them down for drainage.

I am not sure I understand your question. There are 2 half circles at the bottom to allow any water to drain. I was going to use the seam sealer to go over the joints on the entire underside of the car as my motor an transmission is out getting rebuilt. I am going to "clean up" the areas between the stitch welds, minus the drain holes.
I've had the car for 10 plus years now and washed it maybe a handful of times and never driven it in the rain and sits in a heated shop.

I am not sure I understand your question. There are 2 half circles at the bottom to allow any water to drain. I was going to use the seam sealer to go over the joints on the entire underside of the car as my motor an transmission is out getting rebuilt. I am going to "clean up" the areas between the stitch welds, minus the drain holes.
I've had the car for 10 plus years now and washed it maybe a handful of times and never driven it in the rain and sits in a heated shop.
holes look like they are dimpled up . no critisim intended.------bob

-
Back