Homemade hand parts tumbler possibility?

-

pauls340

Reaction score
My wife was throwing out our old salad/ lettuce spinner and I got an idea to use it as a parts tumbler. Do you think it's possible? The way it works is you wash the lettuce, chop it, put it inside, cover it and crank the handle. Your lettuce spins the extra water off. Stop it and lift out the inner basket. I was wondering if you could put sand in it and tumble clean small parts.

Attachments

• Abody Salad Spinner.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 158
In theory, yes, but you would have to make it out of something tougher then the sand and parts. If you try it keep in mind that it might explode (out of balance) slinging part and sand all over your garage and Murphy's law will come into play sending most of the parts directly into your car's paint and glass.

From experience I can advise you NOT to fill the dishwasher with engine parts and get busted by your wife! LMFAO

If it "tumbles" slowly, you might have something there. Folks who reload ammunition use a tumbler to clean their spent brass casings. If your device "spins", like is required to sling the water off the lettuce, it wouldn't work because the parts would not tumble around in the sand or other medium, they would be thrown to the outside of the container due to centrifugal force, and there they would stay during the entire "spin cycle". You might be better off hunting for a cheap rock tumbler for your parts cleaning - they turn slowly.

I've thought about useing an electric clothes dryer. Line the inside with a piece of foam for noise reasons and put the desired media in the barrel. Disable the heat element. Big parts might not be suitable but the small stuff i think would work. Try at your own rish.
Small Block

-
Back