Homemade Tranny Stand???

-

80fbody

Reaction score
Anyone make their own tranny stand for rebuilding? Looking for an idea or two before I grab some steel.

Don't need to build anything really. I've seen trannies bolted to engine stands for horizontal work. If you prefer the trans in a vertical position, put a big tapered punch in a vise on the corner of the bench and slide the trans over the punch using one of the trans to block bolt holes. There you have it for little to no dollars spent.

Wylde1.

I've used an engine stand too but most of the time I use a couple of pieces of 1/2" threaded rod through the factory assy. lugs and nuts on each side to hold it in place.

Their located just above the pan rail towards the rear of the pan. They do work fine for doing a trans. on the bench but their only drawback is being able to flip the trans. to vertical to easily drop in the clutch packs. I've done it with them for yrs. and always thought about building a rotating stand so I don't have to muscle them around. The older I get the more I think it's time to build something better, LOL

It's a little hard to see, but this is a custom mount that my dad threw together for putting a trans on an engine stand. It's basically a tube that's notched for a piece of thick flat steel that's welded in to mount the arms and two arms with two 90 degree bends to lift the trans up higher so the tailshaft doesn't hit the floor.

It's pretty slick as far as I'm concerned.

View attachment 100_1123.jpg

View attachment 100_1137.jpg

It's a little hard to see, but this is a custom mount that my dad threw together for putting a trans on an engine stand. It's basically a tube that's notched for a piece of thick flat steel that's welded in to mount the arms and two arms with two 90 degree bends to lift the trans up higher so the tailshaft doesn't hit the floor.

It's pretty slick as far as I'm concerned.

View attachment 288208

View attachment 288209

I can see where that'd work good for doing the vertical work such as freshening up a trans. That gives me an idea of how to make one work so when you rotate the stand it rotates the trans. from vertical to horizontal. Maybe in the next few weeks I can get around to building it. Don't have any transmissions to do right now so it's not a pressing issue.

I got these pictures on BigBlockDart.com a long time ago, can't find the link now.

Attachments

• 5644862-1203091824.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 3,321
  • 5644868-1203091825.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 3,482
  • 5644873-1203091826.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 3,371
  • 5644876-1203091826a.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 3,682
  • 5644880-1203091826b.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 3,867
Nice. I could certainly hack together something like that. May even try this weekend. Great pics.

I always just chunked um up on the work bench.

-
Back