Hood adjustment

-

Beavis

Reaction score
How do I adjust the hood down at the cowl? My hood sticks up a 1/4" high at the hinges.

I ask this question all the time (not here however) and nobody has ever given me an answer. Good luck! (I'm subscribing to this thread to see if anyone knows).

The passenger side of my hood was the same way. A different hinge fixed mine....

Attachments

• Demon Hood 001.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 335
The passenger side of my hood was the same way. A different hinge fixed mine....

My glass hood sits just like "C's"....EZ spent several hours messing with it, different hinge etc before throwing the towel in.

The A body hood hinges are a piss poor design, adjustability of this is not accounted for. I am trying to figure a best method of replacing mine with something different and will watch this to see if anyone out there has "been there/done that!". Other car models adjust this issue by moving the hood hinges where they attach to the body by lowering the rear of the hinge, not an option for the A body set up.

there is some play in the hinges at the cowl bolt area-- the problem is you have your fenders are on & access to those bolts are limited.

there are no bolts at the hinge mount-- (spaced out) they are held in place by friction washers on metal studs--
you have to adjust at the hood mounting area.

Try to loosen them just a bit(at the bolt mount area) & push down on the hood at the cowl area.

trial & error. Good Luck Lawrence

1st. Open your hood and loosen up the 2 mounting bolts 1 at a time and then just snug them up good.
2nd. Close hood gently and make sure it closed completely.
3rd. Push down on that corner with the palms of your hands until it is flush.
4th. Then carefully open the hood back up and tighten the hood bolts.

1st. Open your hood and loosen up the 2 mounting bolts 1 at a time and then just snug them up good. 2nd. Close hood gently and make sure it closed completely. 3rd. Push down on that corner with the palms of your hands until it is flush. 4th. Then carefully open the hood back up and tighten the hood bolts.
What mounting bolts? The ones that hold the hood to the hinge have zero adjustment on mine (hood already pushed down as far as it'll go on those). And if there are mounting bolts that hold the hinge to the body of the car I sure can't see them, and if they are actually there, there is no way to get a wrench in there anyway. Does anyone have a picture of this area of the car?

What mounting bolts? The ones that hold the hood to the hinge have zero adjustment on mine (hood already pushed down as far as it'll go on those). And if there are mounting bolts that hold the hinge to the body of the car I sure can't see them, and if they are actually there, there is no way to get a wrench in there anyway. Does anyone have a picture of this area of the car?

My 72 hinges don't have any adjustment in them either. The adjustment is on a metal plate inside the hood where the hinges mount.

67 hinges have adjustments in them, but I'm not sure when that style of hinge ended...

I had that same problem on one side off my 72 dart. the trouble was the rear hood bolt wouldn't go low enough in the hinge slot. even though it's probably half assed, I notched the rear slot out at the bottom some and solved my problem. dave.

I've had to recruit a helper to adjust the hood hinges. With the helper pushing up/back on an open hood, I loosen the forward bolts on the hinges. These will be the pivot for lowering the back of the hood. Then, I loosen the rear bolts until the rear of the hood quits moving towards the cowl. Once the rear bolt "bottoms out", I tighten the rear bolts, then the forward bolts. Once all the bolts are tight, the helper can let go of the hood.

I tried this once using props instead of the helper. It did not work and nearly resulted in damage to the fenders and my head.

Doesn't anyone have a photograph of how the hinges attach to the body? I'd like to see where the bolts are. Because this is the only place mine could possibly be adjusted. If itis even possible. I look down in there and can't see how it's attached, other than maybe welded?

Hey 69 340 I see your in Torrington. I live in thr berkshires. If your ever up my way with your car, buzz me!

Hey 69 340 I see your in Torrington. I live in thr berkshires. If your ever up my way with your car, buzz me!

Where abouts?

See what I said earlier, NOBODY has an answer about these stupid hoods! At least nothing that helps me. Did they help you?

Stockbridge

I hear ya. I think it might be the little rubber wedges that keep the hood centered. I'm going to check that today.

Doesn't anyone have a photograph of how the hinges attach to the body? I'd like to see where the bolts are. Because this is the only place mine could possibly be adjusted. If itis even possible. I look down in there and can't see how it's attached, other than maybe welded?

Here you go. No adjustments where the hood hinges are mounted to the body. No bolts to attach. Hinge is held in place by push nuts on stationary body pins.

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 337
  • 008.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 289
I've had to recruit a helper to adjust the hood hinges. With the helper pushing up/back on an open hood, I loosen the forward bolts on the hinges. These will be the pivot for lowering the back of the hood. Then, I loosen the rear bolts until the rear of the hood quits moving towards the cowl. Once the rear bolt "bottoms out", I tighten the rear bolts, then the forward bolts. Once all the bolts are tight, the helper can let go of the hood. I tried this once using props instead of the helper. It did not work and nearly resulted in damage to the fenders and my head.

This sounds like the best idea yet. Loosening the fwd bolts allow the hood to be "teeter-tottered" a slight bit. This might be enough??
I wonder if you enlarge the holes on the hinges a slight bit if that would help?

Stockbridge I hear ya. I think it might be the little rubber wedges that keep the hood centered. I'm going to check that today.

Yes the wedges help keep the hood centered. I have new ones on the cuda and the hood fits very snug!

Here's some pics I found posted by another member of the plate in the hood on a 69 Swinger...

Attachments

• Hood Hinge Attachment Plate 69.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 253
  • Hood Hinge Attachment Plate 69.2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 259
  • Hood Hinge Attachment Plate 69.3.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 219
Glass hood should have the springs removed. Dumb question, but did you remove the hood springs? If not they are trying to open the hood while the front is latched.

You could cut the hinges and reweld them with a drop to where you need them. A pain I know but you can't drive it sticking up like that.

-
Back