HOOD ALIGN. MISSING ME OFF

-

cawley

383 Bcuda
Reaction score
So i aligned the hood on this barracuda i am working on & it looks good not perfect but good. The side gaps where it meets the fenders are ok. I align it with out the latch & catch. I paint it & put the stripes on it. Now every thing lines up. Now i go & put the catch & latch on & i cant get it to line up to save my a** The rt. side fender & hood gap is way wide. There is not much side to side hood adjustment. GRRR

Side gaps can be somewhat adjusted by the four side rubbers. If the latch adjustment is correct, the hood should come straight down and the side rubbers should fit into a tapered area in the hood. I have had new rubbers so large that they wouldn't allow the hood settle into the taper. Either modify the rubber or move the hood taper with a rubber hammer. Check it out.

Lube the hinges.

I've had more problems than I care to remember with hood alignment and it usually comes down to a bind in the hinge.

Sounds to me you did it correctly. Are you sure you can't slide the latch over ? Is the hood line gap at cowl spot on? If not hood could be cocked left or right up front.

Try a small shim between the LS hinge and the hood. You can get the hood over a bit that way.

the cowl gap & the front gap are spot on the hood hinge springs are new he got lighter ones because its a fiberglass hood i slid the bracket that the latch bolts onto over as fare as it will go

the cowl gap & the front gap are spot on the hood hinge springs are new he got lighter ones because its a fiberglass hood i slid the bracket that the latch bolts onto over as fare as it will go

Sounds like the hood latch is not on center. Fiberglass aftermarket parts are kind of known for not having the mount plates in the right places.

Would get out the die grinder and elongate the hood latch mount holes so the hood latch comes down on the striker pin on center.

Same effect happens with the door striker pins when they are out of position. You close the door and it drops the door down or up and then the body lines won't line up until you re-adjust the striker pin and get it on center.

Bend, modify, adjust, or fabricate to get the parts on center so it does not shift the hood left or right when latching.

download.jpeg

Screenshot_20210609-074521_Gallery.jpg

Sounds like the hood striker holes are too far to passenger side and pushing it to the driver side.
Can you "tweak" the striker 1/4" in a vise?

upload_2021-6-9_7-55-32.png

Took the hood latch off & oblonged the bolt wholes. I got the hood to go over to the left side a little more. The rt side is a 1/4 inch & the left is 3/16. Its gonna have to do but now i have to respray the stripes on the front header panel

Old bodyman trick:
Open the hood half way, cover the tops of the fenders with some drop cloths.

Now get on the right side of the hood at the hinge area and lay into it shoving it left the distance you need to center it.

Carefully, checking often to see that you have not moved it too far, if so push it back a little the other way.

You have to fight these car bodies to get everything to line up.

-
Back