Hood Clearance 72 Dart

-

Cruzin

Reaction score
Getting a 360 ready to drop into the dart, but I am curious as to how much room there "Really" is between the top of the carb (where the air cleaner would sit) and the hood. My 360 has a Weiand 8007 intake with an Eddy thunder series carb sitting on top. Since the motor is not installed or ready yet, I was wondering if anybody has something similar to this that they can shed some light on. I know the one way is to lay a straight edge across the lower recess edges of where the hood resides and then measure from underneath the straight edge to the carb. Well, I don't have the engine in yet so I have no clue of how much clearance is going to be there. I was thinking that there should be quite a bit of room, but It would be nice to hear from someone that has a 70-72 or close that might know. Thanks ahead of time for any help that can be provided.

Thing is the hood is not really flat . When I measured across the top edges of my fenders it looked as though my carb would hit . However it cleared with nearly 1" of space. This was on my 72 Dart 360, air gap knock off intake w/ Holley avenger . A drop base really frees up some room if it'll fit your combo . A good way to proceed is lower your engine in place . Then without the carb mounted close the hood and measure from underneath or through the radiator opening - if you have the grill removed.This will give you a good idea of how much space you've got to work with.

Hmmmmm...................my carb has electric choke at this moment, so I don't know that a drop base will fit. Plus , I believe I will have to add a split bore spacer block for the carb I have. That will raise things up even more.Almost sounds like I may have to do some re-thinking of the set up and / or my hood options if in fact this is the case.
Thanks for the info.

You should be fine with a 1/2" carb spacer and a 5/8" to 3/4" drop base air cleaner with a air filter height of 2.75". The drop base will not interfere with your electric choke.

i have an air gap on min and i couldn't use the drop air cleaner because of the ele choke so i decided to try the pro flow by edelbrock and i have maybe 1/2" clearance

If you get the drop base air cleaner, it'll go.

I'm running a stock 6 pack setup on my 1970 dart which should be basically the hood.And it fits with the stock drop breather.The breather comes to the front of the intake and still fits.Keep in mind the hood has a 2 inch rise in the center so you can fit a lot under there.

I have a 340, Edelbrock high rise intake, Holley Street Avenger with electric choke, and stock 70 340 air cleaner, all under a flat hood with dual 340 scoops, and it clears fine in my 70 Dart.

012_zps577ba258.jpg

Thanks guys. I got it all squared away. Gonna look for a set of dual scoops and a M/P or similar air cleaner. I think that will be my best route. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

-
Back