Hood clearance/air cleaner

-

RDJ

Reaction score
67 Barracuda, 408 stroker, Edelbrock Air Gap intake.

I just switched from a Holley to an Edelbrock carb. The Edelbrock has an electric choke and the fuel inlet is at the top of the carb, so the drop type air cleaner I had (14" diameter, 3" tall filter element) won't fit. It hits on the choke.

There is not much clearance between the carb and the hood, and a raised type standard 14" diameter with a 3" tall filter won't fit.

I was thinking of using one of these Edelbrock 1002 air filters. Although until I have it, I don't know if it will fit.

I would like to get opinions on this or advice on what others are using in the case of clearance issues when you can't use a drop type air cleaner housing. I don't really want to cut the hood if I can help it.

Here is a link to Summit with the specs on the air filter.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-1002/?rtype=10

Attachments

• EDL-1002.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 380
Those Edelbrock filters aren't as low profile as you'd think. I looked at those when I was trying to figure out if I could get a filter to fit under my hood. I'm a little confused about what doesn't fit with your dropped base air cleaner. I'm using a carter carb, which is similar, and am running a dropped base (1 1/4") aircleaner on mine no problem.

Here's an idea though. How much is your aircleaner hitting your carb? Have you thought about a 1/2" spacer to raise the aircleaner a bit to clear? You can find them at your autoparts store, and it would be easier, and cheaper, than buying a new aircleaner.

Here are some examples on Summit Racing.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword="air+cleaner"+spacer&Ns=Price|Asc

Thanks, I've never seen those spacers. Does your carter have an electric choke? That big round thing hits on the bottom of the drop base about 1/2" before the base seats on the carb flange.

I used a drop base air cleaner on an Edelbrock carb I had on my car. I had to use Edelbrocks fuel line that drops immediately down and rotated the air cleaner to where it cleared the choke housing. I never took a pic of it but here's a picture of an old Carter AVS with the fuel line I'm talking about

Are Barracudas that low? I have an Airgap on my 360 using a 14x3 filter with a riser to clear my 625 Carter E-choke 4 barrel. Everything fits fine.

Are Barracudas that low? I have an Airgap on my 360 using a 14x3 filter with a riser to clear my 625 Carter E-choke 4 barrel. Everything fits fine.

Must be closer than your Dart cause I have the Eddy Air-Gap (slightly taller than the Chinese knock off air-gap) with a 1" spacer between it and the Holley and have to have a 1-1/2" drop base air cleaner. Without the 1" spacer it still needed a 3/4" drop base. Their close.

Your in California,what do you need a choke for ?
Lose the choke,keep your 14" drop down.
Case closed. ;-)

-
Back