Hood hinge problems

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
I put my hood on and got everything lined up. I took it for a spin around the block to warm the car up. Stupid move I goosed the throttle and hood came up. Since then I haven't been able to get hood to align. The driver side hinge is right up against the fender and when the hood comes down it scrapes the back side of the fender/hood area. I think I may have jacked the hinges. Is there a way to rebuild these? Does anyone do that or where to source new? Ive looked the hood over and it doesn't appear to be damaged. Im thinking one of the hinges bent and the pass side came off the pin when it happened. Just trying to figure out how to get it back together right. I noticed mine are extremely slopping is there a way to tighten them up at the pins?

This is something that is REALLY hard to straighten out, and you would be miles ahead by replacing the hinges.
With them on the car there is no decent way to reverse the torque direction to straighten them out again.
Off the car it's a trial and error but they can be gotten close to normal, but they will always be soft and not nearly as rigid as they were.

The loose part you can figure out easily when they are accesible.

This is something that is REALLY hard to straighten out, and you would be miles ahead by replacing the hinges.
With them on the car there is no decent way to reverse the torque direction to straighten them out again.
Off the car it's a trial and error but they can be gotten close to normal, but they will always be soft and not nearly as rigid as they were.

The loose part you can figure out easily when they are accesible.

Got a source for new ones? If they can be bought new that is? Ive googled and come up empty on new.

Got a source for new ones? If they can be bought new that is? Ive googled and come up empty on new.

I'm sorry I don't,but I contact Tony (whitepunkonnitro) when I need something semi unusual and he comes up with it for me pretty quickly.
All those body parts he has been selling have to come from cars with hinges, or at least some of them.
Hood hinges are a part that a lot of years of cars used the same part, so it shouldn't be too hard to find em.

I wish you good luck with it.

When you get a new set of hinges, I would cross drill the pins and use a cotter pin.

-
Back