Hood Hinge Repair

-
That's a pretty easy fix. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work when using the stock spring.

Ted

It looks good to me. You will need to find a way to re install the springs. I didn't like the push on clips, so I cross drilled the mounting pins, and tightened them up with washers, then used a cotter pin through the cross drilled hole.

It looks like a pretty simple idea. I was just trying to figure out the teflon washers. Are they double stacked?

Furyus2, I like the idea of drilling the pins.

I would love to come up with a way to install gas struts, and get rid of the spring.. On my hinges the springs start to walk off. I have to take a pry bar and push the coils back in line. Im waiting for the day when I forget to check and the spring totally comes off.

You can drill a hole in the pin that holds the hinge & secure with a cotter key to keep the hinge from walking....

Can anyone shed a light on why the springs walk, is it before or after a repair has been made.

Can anyone shed a light on why the springs walk, is it before or after a repair has been made.

My springs walk (to a certain point). I have my hinges off of the car and from what I can see is the arm, that the spring is on twists. Mine had a slight twist about half way. This is about the spot that the spring hooks onto the pin at. I also noticed that the twist was probably caused from the actual hinge moving around on the hinge pins, because the push clips walked off.

Im going to take my old hinges and attempt the repair from that link I posted. I wont be using them on the car right now, I just want to play around and compare them to factory hinges.

-
Back